Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

The study was not too encouraging. BUT over in the comments I found this:

"An excellent book that has helped my friends (both Jewish and Gentile) deal with death and loss is "Mourning & Mitzvah: A Guided Journal for Walking the Mourner's Path Through Grief to Healing" by Anne Brener. I would lend my copy to the bereaved and end up not getting it back because the person used it and then lend it to others who suffered so I just gave up expecting to see it again. I now always make sure ro buy and keep a copy at home which I assume that will not make it back here when I "lend it to someone". When the mourner no longer needs it, they usually lend it to someone else who may need it so it will go on and comfort and heal others."

Anyone read this book? Helpful? Or, like most other books? I have not found but 2 or 3 early on to be of real life help.The article with the study, which otherwise tells us what we already know, except for many statistics:

When a Spouse Dies, Resilience Can Be Uneven

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/27/well/family/when-a-spouse-dies-r...

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi InsideLove,

No, I've not heard of the book you mention.  I have found one book that really "speaks" to me and that is: "Awakening From Grief, finding the way back to Joy."  The author is John E. Welshons.  When stressed due to my background, I generally look for a book that will help.  With Susan's passing, I did just that and read and read.  I read this book, cover to cover about 2 or 3 months into my journey.  As I read it, I got bits of insight and good information, but much of it I just was not ready for.  I went to a grief group and talked, vented, cried, and hurt, and picked up the book a year later.  Again, I read it cover to cover, and this time more of the book made sense and I was able to apply some of its information.  Now, 6 years later, I've read the book 5 times and as I get further from Susan's death, I continue to get more and more out of that durned book!

I hope we all can find solace in reading and that we all find "The" book or books that help us through these miserable times.

((HUGS))

Frank

Frank thanks for that book suggestion! I'll head over to Amazon to "wish list" it.

My favorites so far are It's OK That You're Not Okay," Megan Devine. It was the first book I bought after "wish listing" about a dozen on Amazon. SoundsTrue, known for their meditations, is where I got a sample chapter and I bought it all the way. I could totally relate to it. Second best book for me and a keeper, "I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye: surviving, coping and healing after the sudden death of a loved one."

I think I have 5 books now and am giving away ones that gave me solace in the moment, but that I decided just to read once.

{{{hugs back to you}}}

I am only 3 months into this lonely journey of grief. The book that has helped me the most right now is "It is Ok That You are Not Ok: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand" by Megan Devine. It is the one book that identifies everything I am feeling and assured me that I am not crazy. Another that I am reading now is "From One Widow to Another Conversations on the New You" By Miriam Neff. This one is more biblical based and has helped me as I felt so far from God during these last months. I have a stack that well meaning friends gave me but couldn't identify with what they are saying right now. Maybe later. 

Sosammy! THAT was the first book I bought about a month after Marty went to heaven. It's by far so far, my favorite. Totally agree with your assessment. Must be why I am in my second read of it now - I still feel crazy 5 months, 1 day. 

I'll search out your recommendation on Amazon - THANKS.

Thank YOu for the name of the book. I just requested it from the library.

Susan

Excellent topic Inside.  I am interested in everyone's answers.  As you know, I haven't been hitting on much with my book choices. 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service