Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

OK, here's my 2017 Dia De Los Muertos Altar.    It is a Mexican tradition that honors the deceased.    Here in Los Angeles, there are Dia de Los Muertos events throughout the month of October and early November.    In the past few years, I have posted pictures of my altars.    I hope you enjoy or might inspired to build your own altar to your loved one.

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is quite impressive!  It is not celebrated where I live but Nov. 2 is my late husband's birthday, so I usually set up something.  This year I may have some marigolds from my garden for a change.  Those orange ones are gorgeous.  I think I have only yellow ones left.  I have pictures and dried flowers around a vase of his ashes with a pine cone on top year round but set up something near where he used to sit on that day. It is a nice tradition.

I think this weekend, I have a choice of at least five Dia De Los Muertos celebrations nearby.     I'm going to try to get to at least one this weekend.

The flower shops here are full of orange marigolds this time of year.

I see your decor is completely different from last year's - its also very nice ...

A new addition to our altar is a bobble head skeleton holding Bob's favorite beer, Corona ...

I also planted pink & purple marigolds this year along w/the standard yellow & orange - unbeknownst to me, those in the front yard were given to fast neighbors ...  :-)

My girls have been trying out a variety of calavera face painting designs - they're messy young adults, but a joy to watch ...

I just wish they would be more careful in not getting dirty my skirts, gowns & ostrich feathered hats, however, not having a care in the world is the way to have fun ... 

I can barely wait to see what kind of sign Bob-O sends this time ... 

Enjoy your day celebrating the Day of the Dead! 

I bought a quilt from a friend and added some new skulls and a figurine.    One of the skulls I got at Camp Widow in August..    I'm going to try to make it to the Marigold Parade this year.    Maybe we can meet up when I get to Albuquerque.   

We Remember Them by Sylvan Kamens & Rabbi Jack Riemer
At the rising sun and at its going down; We remember them.
At the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter; We remember them.
At the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring; We remember them.
At the blueness of the skies and in the warmth of summer; We remember them.
At the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of the autumn; We remember them.
At the beginning of the year and when it ends; We remember them.
As long as we live, they too will live, for they are now a part of us as We remember them.

When we are weary and in need of strength; We remember them.
When we are lost and sick at heart; We remember them.
When we have decisions that are difficult to make; We remember them.
When we have joy we crave to share; We remember them.
When we have achievements that are based on theirs; We remember them.
For as long as we live, they too will live, for they are now a part of us as, We remember them.

thanks for posting this Widow.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service