Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

WELCOME to our community ... tell us about you!

Views: 81905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Appalled" is an interesting choice of word!  I'd say I felt surprised and still feel almost guilty, but I kind of like living alone.  I was raised in a family of 5 kids, always shared a room with my sister, always squabbles over what to watch on TV (we had only one... I guess we were deprived).  Living with DH was significantly more peaceful, of course, but even in a good marriage you have to adjust and compromise. 

It would take a heck of a man for me to shack up again- legally or otherwise.

I have had a similar experience. I find myself finally after 4 plus years somewhat-guiltily enjoying living by myself. I also was the middle of 5 kids, too. Always the squabbles not only what to watch over the one black and white TV, but the static during sporting events caused by my sewing machine; I had to risk a few stitches at a time back in the 50's. My sweet DH was my second sweet hubby for over 25 years after a very always-angry first one. DH was the oldest of 9 and his first wife was certifiably mentally ill, but he stayed with her through 17 chaotic years. So we both sooooo enjoyed the peaceful coexistence. 

Last night I was reading some posts I had made on a messageboard from about 18 years ago. We were in our early 40s and my husband was having a midlife crisis, having by then lived longer than his mother did. My biological clock was screaming, but instead of it making me want a baby, it made me write. Chapters and chapters of a giant sprawling family epic that I never finished. I was also finishing grad school and I think that when I got a master's degree, it made him feel even more inadequate. And in the middle of all that, he started an emotional affair with a co-worker. That was the worst two years of my life, because men feel as long as they are not having sex, it's not an affair. But it was. And the woman was blatant about it. She would call our house and ask for him. He would make plans to get together with her and leave his e-mail up. I would challenge him on it and he insisted that I was the problem because I didn't trust him, that they were just friends. I had kind of forgotten how awful that was. Time and time again, I have e-mails in my sent folder that I sent to my sister about how taken for granted I felt, how I was just furniture to him, and so on and so on. And yet, as far as he was concerned, he was in a happy marriage. I'd forgotten how utterly trapped I felt sometimes.

Maybe that's why those years feel like someone else's life. On one level, we were very well suited, because we were really on the same wavelength. But we were BOTH hard to live with. I looked at him and saw an incredibly handsome, smart guy and I would wonder what he saw in a troll like me. He'd look at me and see an incredibly smart, accomplished woman and wonder what I saw in a troll like him. So I guess we were doing this little dance of low self-esteem together and it worked in a weird sort of way.

And yet, when he got sick, I would have let no stone unturned to save him. And when he had a stroke and was in ICU, I was looking at rehab centers and nursing homes and home care to see what would be involved. I was terrified, because what I was looking at was either him being trapped between this world and the next, being kept "alive" by machines, a very angry, severely disabled guy who hated me for allowing them to stick him with a breathing tube and feeding tube, or at best, someone very angry. But he had an advance directive, and he'd always been very open about not putting a lot of value in his life, especially after he aged out of his career, and while he was in ICU he wasn't getting cancer treatment, so when they told me that they didn't see any higher brain function and they could make him comfortable and let what would happen happen, it seemed like the only choice.

Some people think that with a troubled marriage, it's easier to make that decision. It isn't. It's harder. And the grief is very different, because when it happens this way, I think you spend the rest of your life trying to sort out exactly what you feel.

My husband died from brain cancer, but I too dealt with his depression after retirement. Initially we were quite happy, but retirement changed him. We had moved and he felt he had no purpose and was way out of his comfort zone for 11 years. This had a negative affect on our marriage, as he became critical and hurtful in some of the ways he acted and said. Now 4 years later, I'm glad to be away from that feeling of his disapproval, but I miss him terribly. I do fine on my own as far as decisions and functioning, but the loneliness is persistent. And I too remember the hurtful things and not the great earlier years we had together. I don't know why our minds operate that way..like the bad is remembered more than the good and it sticks with you more. It all does seem like another lifetime ago and somehow I ended up in an alternate Universe....by mistake. Wish I could get back to the original one.

Hello - I'm new here.  I lost my husband suddenly and tragically June 23 last year in a mountain accident while we were on vacation.  He was 40, I am now 42.  We have two daughters, now aged 9 and 11.  We had been married 14.5 years, but together for 20.  Half my life was spent with him.  I think I'm doing ok, or as ok as I can be.  I can't believe it has nearly been a year.  A year without him.  I found this site when I randomly found the Widow Camp page.  Do many go to that?  I'm looking at the one in San Diego.

Wow. I'm so sorry for your loss. I say wow because I lost my husband June 23 last year. He was 55. I'm 47. We were married 27 years. We have 2 kids. My son is 25 and my daughter is 23. I found this group when I stumbled across the widow camp. I'm nervously excited as I intend to attend the camp in Tampa next March. I'm in Va. I've never traveled alone before. I've been with Jerry longer than I have not. If you'd like to talk more feel free to message me.

Hi Debbie - sorry you and I joined this "club" on the same day.  :(  We had been on vacation in Europe when it happened.  After I took care of everything over there (thankfully one of his friends had been in the area and drove 8 hours to help me with everything and get me back to the airport), I flew home 2 days later to break the news to our girls.

MPMom,

I'm sorry for your loss and that you find yourself here. 

Doing as ok as you can, is just where you need to be. 

As far as Camp Widow..I can't say enough good things about it.  First time I went I was a little over 1 yr widowed.  I had no idea what to expect. I am so so SO glad I went!  I went to workshops and classes.  I heard countless stories of HOPE.  Those stories made me believe that I would be able to have happiness in my life.  I learned that first year that Hope Matters. 

Oh, did I say that I made friends?!  I have friends all over the country!  I made friends with people who lived close to me and we get together as often as we can! Depending on what area you're in there may be a Regional Group close to you!

In other words, if you're able, go to Camp!  

If you do go to San Diego, I can put you in touch with so many of the amazing people I have met and they will swoop you up and make you feel like you're home.

Peace~

Sue

Thank you for your reply, Sue.  I, too, will be a little over 1 year widowed at the Camp.  I signed up to go after thinking about it some more and talking with my friends.  My daughters are going to Camp Erin the following weekend, so all 3 of us will get to go to something fun and helpful.  I'm a little nervous to be paired with a roommate, but I think it will be good.  Maybe they'll pair me with someone who lives near me, close to my age?  I often feel way too young to be a widow - and I'm sure that's normal.  I'd like to go back and change some of the things I put on my application - do you know the best way to do that?  Maybe I can call them? 

MPMom, you can always go and amend your Camp registration.  

Also, if you go to http://www.soaringspirits.org/contact-us you can send email, snail mail or call.  You will probably talk to Michele, who is the mastermind behind Soaring Spirits and Camp Widow.  The loss of her husband, Phil, is the reason we have this amazing community.

It may be too early but there is usually always a Camp Widow forum here.  

I hope your days are easy

Peace~

Sue

Hi MPMom,

We chatted briefly yesterday online, was lovely to meet you, though of course wish circumstances were very different. Sounds like you went through a very traumatic time last year when you lost your husband, being in a different country and it being so sudden. I'm so sorry and unfortunately can relate in many ways. We had just moved to the USA from Australia to live. Mike died suddenly 2 months later. I lost my visa privileges instantly, and found myself a long way from home. I am 43 and Mike was 39. Way too young for any of this. Fortunately the people in the small town we live in, in PA have been incredible. I'm still in the USA but have to leave in the next couple of weeks as my visa expires. The stress of that is what sparked me to come back to this site and find some consolation. Which I have!

I am also toying with the idea of the San Diego camp. I saw that you have signed up. Congratulations. From what Supernova says they sound amazing.

Danielle 

I'm Lori. I'm new to this site. My husband Matt died 14 months ago of leukemia.  We were married for 6 years, together for 17 years. We were such a good team! It's still so shocking to be single, to be widowed. I'm considering going to Camp Widow in San Diego this August but am undecided.

I'm struggling to figure out how to build a new life. I feel like I'm moving through mud. Hoping to connect with people here for encouragement and compassion.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service