Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

WELCOME to our community ... tell us about you!

Views: 95458

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello All,

Just a quick hello and short intro. Lost my hubby at roughly 3 months ago, no time for goodbye so I'm struggling with all the things I wished I had said, regrets they are plenty... I have 3 kiddos, great kids ( they make me look good) and they are all still at home ( 18,20 & 23). I'll be eternally thankful to hubs for giving me these precious souls and that he helped raised such awesome young people. I'm South African and we have been in the US for nearly 8 years now, so having no family around makes it hard. People reach out, but truthfully I don't really know what to say to them ( not much of a talker). In any event when the urge to purge arrives unannounced, there is nobody around. I do not cry in front of my kids, so my time is in the car travelling to and from work. Don't know about any of you, but music is 'hard' to listen to ( I especially love to hate Pink's new song "What about us!"). It looks like this is a great group and I look forward to making some connections and hopefully help someone else out... Have a super special thanksgiving and remember to smile be kind and love those around you. 

Sasha hello. How long were you married? For sure you have blessings with such a young family. My husband died Aug 28, 3 days after his 68th birthday, unexpectedly after 28 days in the hospital with complications from a routine hip surgery. I can't say I've had any good days. So far I can remember 2 days where I had at least an hour total, of total peace. And since I succumbed to getting a non-addicting anti-depressant to help me sleep just 2 weeks ago, I am beginning to sleep at night without sobbing.

Smile and love those around us, very beautiful words.

Married for just shy of 25 years, more than half my life... I'm sorry to hear you've had few good days (need an emoji here). Sounds like you were very much in love. Just remember the love is what matters. My motto, fake it until you make it! 

It's good that you sleep well now, for me it was strange as hubby passed away during the night of 25 August ( worst was that I did not have any inclination) but my bed and bedroom is strangely comforting...so I sleep pretty okay "drug free" bummer LOL.

I'm remembering the love indeed that's in part why I refuse to take on the phrase - new normal.  I bristle at it, hate it, want nothing to do with it. New implies for me, leave what is past you behind you. We were together for 72% of my life. We were kids at 21 when we married. He just turned 68 when he died. I am holding on to all memories - the ups and the downs. Slowly strengthening the good ones and letting the bad ones go. I'm so blessed that HIS passion for life showed ME so many wonders in boating, planes, classic cars, exotic cars and the list is like 20 some hobbies or interests in had that we enjoyed, even loved, together. 

I’ve now shared with my in-person grief groups my motto/phrase/mindset, the one I think I can wear going forward. It’s Next Season. I'm finding my Next Season. Seasons change and we know another one is coming, next. Personally, I like all seasons the same, for different reasons. I’m working to stay in faith with God, mostly he’s pulling me in closer to Him, to find joy this Next Season. The pain I trust may never go away, not even in years. However, I am confident some of it will ease up, and in that opening, there will be comfort. Room to breathe.

Happy Thanksgiving Sasha.

Welcome to the club we all wish we could say we weren't a part of.  I am also still rather new at this, less than 2 weeks, but I will say I definitely agree with you on listening to music being a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.  I usually walk a mile to work from the train station and listen to music on the walk, but I had to change to listening to an audio book because much of them music on my phone was really my wife's.  I think the important thing to think about is to ask for help when you need it, and share as you need to.  We all have our own way of dealing with grief.  

It is definitely good that you have family and children around you to help you through this time.  Take comfort in them. But also take time for yourself. 

Thank you for the sweet welcome.

I am Sosammy. My husband died 1 month ago. He had a heart attack while we were playing ball. he spent 2 days in ICU, but his brain went too long without oxygen. I had to make the decision to stop the medication that was keeping his heart going. He was only 63 and had never had any health problems before. This is the hardest journey. The profound loneliness even in a room full of people is horrible. Somedays I think I keep so busy so that the memories don't have a chance to catch me, but they always do. Today is Thanksgiving and I tried to focus on all the wonderful blessings we had but I cried all the way home. 

Sosammy I am so sorry. I wish we didn’t have to meet here. My husband died suddenly and unexpectedly just 3 days after his 68th birthday. He went in for routine hip surgery, was rehabbing at home for 2 weeks then I called 911 when he couldn’t breathe. It was a roller coaster in the hospital as we we planning his return.

This is excruciatingly painfully. My busyness is in handling all the business matters which can also be exasperating.

My first Thanksgiving today without Marty was 50/50. Better part of the day spent with friends was neutral- no pain and laid back- but the hour drive home broke me.

You’ll find wonderful compassion here. I’m learning to go slower, let my feelings out and sometimes just take it hour by hour. I also joined to local grief groups for weekly support. I also have a counselor. And I have a PenPal here. My family lives far from me but we talk every day. That all helps. You’re in a loving place.

Sosammy, my condolences. It is good that you have found us. Read thru what we have said and please feel free to share what you wish. Our journeys  are unique but we understand and will not judge you. Please take care of yourself.

I dislike the holidays. Between the couple commercials and missing Stu. Even after 2 years it’s hard. We always had each other at thanksgiving and Christmas. I have my brothers over for The holidays and celebrate with my son. But being with him and getting him something he enjoyed was the fun and enjoyment of Christmas. I can’t wait until January.

I agree that “new normal” is Bad phrase. I wish someone came up with a better one. Explain how you have to carry-on after what happened

hugs photonut

Dear H2017, No need to apologize for "rambling" - although I didn't think you were doing so. Condolences. It is good that you are here because although each circumstance is different, we've all lost someone important to us and we can all relate in one way or another to what you are saying. Come here and share what you wish and read what we've written. This is a terribly lonely experience. You are very early in your grief. I cannot tell you that it gets easier, I've just gotten use to it. Even after 2 years, I still cry a lot and miss my wife and our life that we had together. I'm glad that you have friends and family near you that are supporting you. Take care of yourself. 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service