Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

WELCOME to our community ... tell us about you!

Views: 84652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just spent about an hour going through cards and crying for about an hour..  Christmas cards, birthday cards from my husband , Mother and other family members I have lost along the way.  I agree about needing a hug.  However, some how I can't not even imagine holding some else's  hand let alone more intimate moments.  I feel the same about songs, a scene in a movie so many memories you can't erase and I don't want to erase anyway.  That was my life!!  

Dear Pat, I too lost my hubby to cancer.  That rollercoaster ride was the worst thing I've ever endured.  Watch your loved one slowly die and praying for a miracle every day, spending so much time in the hospital and cancer center and meeting new friends there that now have also passed.  Its been 18 months for me and the pain doesn't go away you are right, and although it is a little better it still hurts everyday.  You are right, Christmas will never be the same.  This site has helped me in many ways, but I miss the laughter, hugs and just having someone to talk with so desperately.  I  hope you continue to heal (I hope we all do), and that life gets a little better for us all.  Merry Christmas.  Sandi Whitehouse

Pat,

I just read what you had to say and felt I just needed to respond.  I lost my wife on January 20, 2017.  While I am quite behind you in time I can fully relate to much of which you had to say.  My wife and I met a little later in life and we were married for just less than 20 years.  She died at the young age of 64.  She had an infection near her colon which went undetected too long and was allowed to spread in her blood system.  All the time the doctors are assuring us that all is going to be alright.  Once it had spread it resulted in her blood pressure being dropped so low that it ultimately stopped her heart.  I called 911 and they responded and were able to get her heart restarted but unfortunately the damage had already been done.  She was transported to the hospital.  First she went through the emergency room and then to ICU.  She was hooked to 3 IV's to attempt to raise her blood pressure and was on a respirator running wide open all night but by 9AM the next morning her heart had stopped for the second time at which time I told them to stop all efforts to do anything more.  Today was her birthday, so today I have gone through that.  My biggest problem is I have had a small gathering of support.  The vast amount of support that I have received has come through this group and a friend I developed while going through a local Grief Share group.  Just as with you I feel this is something that I will never overcome.  I have heard all of the stupid comments that anyone would ever want to hear.  Many friends walked away from me during the 2nd through the 4th month as they could understand why I hadn't gotten over this already.  Were it not for the support of these two groups it would have been very hard to have even reached the point where I am now. 

Larry

Hi, I am SherylS. My husband Tom passed away in October. I joined a grief support group through Hospice within 2 weeks. Oh, my what a great encouragement! Tom, we found out, had stomach cancer. It was such a shock because he had literally never had a sick day, except a cold. He was 65. We thought we had months, but it was actually only a few weeks. I am thankful, however, he didn't suffer. HIs kidneys failed at the end. They say it is a peaceful way to go. He was uncomfortable, but not terribly in pain.

God has watched over me in so many ways. I have great friends! I don't have family nearby. One friend calls me every single day. So thankful for her.

I knew losing a spouse was a terrible loss, but oh! I was physically hurting for at least 2 weeks, and sleeping rarely. It was awful, besides the emotional turmoil. I could always go to Tom for a hug, but now it seemed I had no one. I just longed for someone to actually hold me while I sobbed, but I realize no one could replace his hugs. 

Tom and I did everything together, as much as it hurts, maybe too much. I made my life around his, and he, mine. We had so much fun! Traveling and camping. I always said we never had any bad memories, and I don't think we did. I will miss him forever!

Hugs to you all!

SherylS

Hello, I am a new widow.  My husband, Scott passed away 11/25/17 after a 20-day battle with pancreatic cancer.  Except we weren't told it was pancreatic cancer until one week before.  He was scheduled to start chemo 2 days after he passed, so we didn't even get to start the fight.  Maybe it's a good thing that it was quick.  He had absolutely no signs of illness until the day I rushed him to the emergency room with intense abdominal pain and shortness of breath while we were out raking leaves.  We were together 20 years, married 5 1/2 years...no kids.  I'm only 50 and terrified of what the future will hold.  

I'm already seeing a grief counselor and have gone back to work.  I'm finding it hard to be home, surrounded by Scott...and the deafening silence around me.  

My heart goes out to everyone here.  

Hello Denverkim, You are in a good place here. We've all experienced a terrible grief and I've found it to be very helpful to post and read. You are early in the experience. If you are experiencing a fog in your mind, I encourage you to let it be. Several of us have found it to be a protective cover. Right now take care of yourself. You may need to ask  your support system for the kind of help that you think you need. You are in my thoughts today.  

Thank you IBelieveInYou.  I feel less alone already.  

You've come to the right place, there are so many wonderful people here to help!  

Hi Kim,

I lost my husband last October, after a two-week hospitalization. We also didn't know he was dying before that time. He was 43, and I was 31, and he was stepfather to my now 10 year old son. Our 2 year wedding anniversary was while he was hospitalized.

You will find the people who really get you and are most compassionate are those who have also suffered tremendous loss, especially those who have also lost their spouses. It is good you have reached out. Many people are uncomfortable with grief in our culture especially, and you probably have already experienced friends making empty offers of support or turning away from you. I am so sorry our world is like that. I agree with IBelieveInYou, your self-care is so important right now. Make sure you are sleeping.Make sure you are eating. Make sure you are drinking water. Take long, hot showers,and sit outside on sunny days. Nothing will probably feel good right now, but try to do the things that you know should feel good anyway.

I am in the Denver area too (Lakewood). There are some great resources here. I would check out The HeartLight Center http://www.heartlightcenter.org/ and get connected there. If you ever want to meet up for coffee, or just need some company some night,  send me a message and we can try and connect.

Debbie

Hey there girl. I totally understand the fear of the future. It seems unreal, like your life is not yours anymore. I'm terrified of being alone for the rest of my natural life ( as I'm 47), but we just have to ride this wave as hard as it is. Scott will always be in your heart and you'll be okay. Hugs for you!

Kim, I'm so sorry for your loss. My husband of 32 years passed on July 6th, unexpectedly of a heart attack. His name was Scott. I'm 51 and also a Kim. I can't even think about the future I guess because it doesn't feel like I have one, even with 4 grown children. I joined here instead of going to counseling. lol

Thank you, Kim.  I'm so sorry for your loss.

I started grief counseling last week and have gone to two support group outings.  One group is very social and that definitely seems more my speed.  I'm going to attend another widows/widowers support group tomorrow evening...we'll see how that goes.  I'm so lost.  I cannot fathom being happy ever again.  And I cannot fathom ever having another man in my life.  I know it's too soon, but the 20 years Scott and I spent together, we really and truly were each other's backbones.  No one gets me like he does. 

I have a hard time getting up and getting ready for work...the only thing that gets me out of bed is the fear of being in the house all day, where the wave of grief pounds me into the sand.  I can only take being in my house for a couple of hours in the evening before exhaustion sends me to bed.  I wished I felt comfort and peace at home.  I'm sure that makes Scott sad, because he loved the house and definitely had no problem being there by himself for long stretches of time.  Not me. 

I wish all of you comfort and peace right now.  This time of year is the worst.

Kim

RSS

© 2017   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service