Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

WELCOME to our community ... tell us about you!

Views: 86733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi I'm from Melbourne, got 2 beautiful girls (8 & 9) and we unfortunately lost there mum to cancer earlier this year. Been a very tough few years for us 3 as I'm sure many of you can understand. We thrived on each others company and spent majority of our time just with each other. I feel the need to reach out to people that I'm not familiar with so thought a forum like this would be perfect. It's been 11 months since my soul mate died and my motivation to enjoy life is slowly coming back. Would be so lost with out my 2 little angels. Cheers for accepting me and I'm looking forward to making new friends.

Allan84,

I'm so sorry for your loss and the fact we have to meet under these circumstances. I too lost the love of my life (my husband) this past 4th of July due to a car accident. Three days later, I gave birth to our one and only child (my daughter). I too live for my daughter and have no idea what I would do without her during this painful time. You will find a lot of support and comfort here. Good luck to you and please feel free to reach out whenever.

-Kimmy

Oh that's so sad. Kids are the best for taking your mind of thing and bringing happiness. Must be a crazy time for you lately. 

Hi 

I am new to this site. 

My husband of 43 years died on Sept 9 of advanced cancer. They found it late so he only lived for 47 days. 

I am crying every day and trying hard to cope..as we all are. 

It has been so hard because we spent so much time together. 

Hi Wendy and Allan84 - sorry you had to find this site, but glad you're here to join us.  My 49 year-old husband died 24 days ago after a 20-day battle with pancreatic cancer.  We didn't even get to start treatment before he became critical and passed.  We barely had a chance to process the diagnosis and what the treatments would be like.  After meeting others who have lost a husband or wife to an aggressive cancer like this, we were spared some grueling treatments, lots of pain and discomfort...all to arrive at the same awful outcome.  My heart goes out to everyone here. 

If you can, please join the chat on Christmas Day and New Year's, too.  It'll be a good way to support each other on days that are supposed to be fun and happy, but aren't. 

Its just over 5 months since my brave Helen passed.  Have had some OK times but mostly not good times but it is getting slightly easier. I have struggled with depression over the years and know about and have experienced panic attacks, but I now get what I call "empty attacks" or perhaps "lonely attacks".  I seem to be doing good but just drying dishes and looking out the window I just get "empty" or "lonely" and at that moment wonder what is this all about??  My expression about getting easier is perhaps more about realizing that Helen is not coming back.  Going to my 2 sons for Christmas, but just want it get it done and over with and to get on with whatever there is to come. Hope that the new year will lead the way forward but just being in this place and knowing that others are suffering as much or more than I am is assistance in knowing if they can do it then I can do it.  Thanks all and good wishes for the days ahead.  Ray

I get that, too.  My husband died in November, 2016 so I'm just a little over a year out.  I think the first year I was almost feeling relief that I didn't have to worry about another person anymore; Ron had slowly been going downhill, losing his ability to deal with technology, becoming forgetful about taking medications, unsteady on his feet.... so I gradually took over more.  I'm glad I could do it- he took care of everyone else his whole life (stepdaughter with serious asthma, elderly mother after his sister decided Mom was too much trouble, a financially clueless previous GF).  He deserved to have the best care possible at the end.

Now, especially with the short winter nights, I really notice the stillness in the house.  I'm also aware of the fact that I'm still developing workarounds because I'm alone.  My only long bike rides are the ones organized for charity, where I know there will be rescue vehicls on the course.  (I do have an Uber account in case I get a flat tire on my own, but haven't tried it.)  This week I took the car in for servicingto a place a mile from my gym, walked to the gym, worked out, walked back and picked up the car.

Friday I get out on the road to SC, where my widowed father and my 4 siblings live.  I made this trip without Ron last year and also in July, so I know I can do it.  It will be good to be with family over Christmas.

Thanks I really appreciate your reply. Yes not looking forward to Christmas this year 

Hello. I lost my Patti two months ago due to Diabetes. It was sudden and not expected. She stopped breathing and went into cardiac arrest in the middle of the night.  She was only 47 and the love of my life. I will never heal. I am here because I need support and to also offer support to you. I am at the lowest point in my life but am thankful that I can reach out to people who understand and share the same feelings I am going through. I wake up some mornings and wonder if it is all worth it anymore? I want to quit my job and move away from everyone. But I have responsibilities that I must meet, namely getting our daughter through college. Only after she graduates and finds her own life will I then move on to whatever God has planned for me. I miss my wife. I miss our weekend adventures. I miss her cooking and her snuggling and her love notes. I miss seeing her waiting for me on our front porch when i come home from work. I miss her gentleness and her kindness. I love my wife with all my heart. I will never forget her.

Greg, my condolences. It is good that you have found us. Please read what we've written and share what you want. There have been many times where the writings of fellow widowers has helped. Reach out to your community for help. Tell them what you need. You will learn that you must ignore insensitive comments. The first few months for me were terrible. I'm now more than 2 years out and while it is still hard, I've learned that I can be sad and okay at the same time. Right now though, concentrate on yourself and your daughter. Put one pant let on at a time and you've accomplished something. Your wife sounds like my wife and your relationship, like ours. It's going to be rough but you will pull thru. Know that we understand what you are experiencing. Please take care of yourself.

Thank you "IBelieve". God bless

Greg, so understand how you are feeling.  I am quite a bit older but I just never knew that anything could hurt this bad.  The only help I can give is to try and let it out.  If you are unable to tell your near friends and family then let it out here.  Keeping that hurt inside just eats at you. I was with my Helen for 50 years and I don't know if I will ever be able to let that go but I don't think Helen would allow me to just give up on my children and grandchildren and thats whats keeping me level at present. Do the best you can and try, how difficult it is, to remember those years with her, and I hope I can take my own advice.  Ray

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service