Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

WELCOME to our community ... tell us about you!

Views: 82734

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HI, I am reading through these introduction and your name caught my attention....my husband passed due to lung cancer too and we meet in the Army and I always called him Richard, even though his last name was Richards.  Yes I am processing dating and having a compatible companion too...I know my husband would have wanted me to not be ALONE or SAD.  We talked about it briefly, I think that is what gives me comfort and courage to think about dating.  

HI. I was widowed 8/19/10 shortly after my husband turned 27. There was no warning, no sickness. I woke up to him unconscious and making horrible noise. Once we got to the ER they kept saying I'm sorry. He never left. He died hours later.

Hi greyeyes10,

Your story sounds similar to mine.  I lost my husband on 10/8/11 - he died from a ruptured brain aneurysm.  We have an 8 year old son together and we found him unconscious at home.  He died the next day in the hospital.

hi christin  kinda the same stuff here and the same month , sorry for your loss

Hi my name is Alexandra I live in WA and lost my husband 11/26/15 after a ten year fight with multiple myeloma he would have been 51 last month I am 49 and we have 2 grown kids which he never got to get married or have kids.

Dear Grey Eyes,

Welcome to our site. I am saddened to hear some of your story. You are so incredibly young to go through such pain and it isn't fair. It must have been very shocking to have this happen to suddenly. I hope you can find some help and healing here. I have been her for a couple of months and it has made the world of difference for me.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Fondly,

Suz

Herro!

I'm Joanna, aka Krusty.  My husband died on October 10th 2009 after a week long stint in the CCU at our hospital. He went in with the flu we thought.  Turned out he had double pneumonia.  He got better, and then died from a plumonary embolism.  If oudn after he died that he had H1N1.  Embolisms are a side effect of H1N1.  The news interviewed me at my home because he was the first case to die in our county.  He was just 29.  And...I didnt find out about the H1N1 until the reporter told me. I felt like I was sucker punched.  No one told me.  We have 4 kids together. At the time of his death, they were 3.5, 7, 8 and 8.  Now the twins just turned 10 a month ago, the "baby" is going to be 5 on monday, and our middle child is 8.5.  Sad thing is, he died the day of her birthday party...but I dont really want to get into that right now.  So anyway, I'm almost 18 months out now, but my life has done a complete 360 as I am in a serious relationship and practically engaged.  Its so surreal to be honest.  Going from a happy life married to my best friend, to watching him die, spending a year alone as a single mom with 4 kids...and now living with the new love of my life...I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.  

i dont want to seem like I am not happy with the course my life has taken lately.  I am so blessed to have found such a wonderful man that loves me and the kids, and I love him just as much.  Its just so strange to think about all the dreams my first hubs and I had, and now I'm living with another man.  I never expected this to happen to me, lol, but no one does anyway. This kind of crap really fucks with your head.

Joanna~It's good to officially "meet" you. I didn't know your story, but feel like I know you better now :). And I'm with you on the surreal-ness of our lives!

Sherry

well, we did talk on twitter! lol  and its good to "meet" you too

Joanna,

I liked reading your story here.  I love your enthusiasm and love for life, eventhough this was not the life you had planned in the beginning.  I, too, lost my best friend and soul mate after 23 years of marriage.  My husband I were  both the same age (45) so I am older than you, but I still feel very young.  We had so many plans for retirement and just spending more time together as the kids got more independent.  (We have 4 kids ages 11-19.)  Most people think that "kids" your age have every opportunity to get married again, and people in their 60's and 70's seem perfectly happy being alone because they were with their mates for so long, but people in my age group seem to be in limbo.  I personally loved my husband so incredibly much which makes his passing so painful, but at the same time I can't see myself alone the rest of my life.  I still want a loving relationship with someone, a "wing man", someone who adores me and I adore him.  The problem is, I can't imagine dating again.  I started dating my husband at 18, so I am WAY out of practice.  I just couldn't imagine that whole part of my life starting again.  How did you decide that dating was what you were going to do?  How did you get over the guilt of feeling like even the thought of dating someone was cheating?  It seems like you have a good self image which probably helps. I feel like I have a good self image, but I'm still fearful of what dating means.  I have come to the point in my grieving where if I had the choice of one man for another 50 years, I'd beg for my husband in a second and I wouldn't look twice at another man, but since I don't have that choice anymore, I need to keep living.  How long did it take you to feel like that?  How did you do it?

Thanks,

Heather

I was widowed @ 46. My husband battled esophageal cancer for just over a year. We were married 26 years he was 9 years older than me so I knew I would be a widow but thought I would be older. I am dating the father of one of my co-workers and really struggled with feeling like I was cheating in my husband. Initially I just wanted to go to dinner with someone who could relate to what I was going through. He has been widowed for 15 years and is so patient with me and my kids. His jkids and my kids get along so well and he knows thaty kids have to work out how they feel about us daring. Don't know if marriage is ever going to be what I want again but I am enjoying being with someone who undersrands.  We started dating 1 year after Wayne's death it had been a journey and I know Wayne would not want be to be alone. Like you I feel to old to date but to young to spend the rest of my life alone.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service