Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

We're chatting in the Village Square and sharing all of the grief books we've read and liked.  Better to have that take place here in the Forums so all will have access to it.  Please add your favorites and give a little review.

Views: 3206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember the first grief book I tried to read and think I got to page 5, then fell apart.  I finally managed to muddle through it.  That was about 2 months after hubbys death and I realized I wasn't ready to read, it was too raw.  At about 6 months out, I was better able to understand what I was reading, I was in shock too much to read and relate.  The book I liked the most was "Transcending Loss" by Ashley Davis Prend, it put all of the feelings I had together for me.

"Tear Soup  A Recipe For Healing Ater Loss" by Pat Schwiebert and Chuck DeKylen 

This was written for children but has become a huge hit with adults.  I ordered it from www.recoverfromgrief.com.  It was the first book I read and have read it several times.

"Happily Even After" by Carole Brody Fleet

"Getting Naked Again" by Judith Sills Ph. D

"Hope" by Dr. Gloria Horsely and Dr. Heidi Horsely

"Stick A Geranium In Your Hat and Be Happy" by Barbara Johnson

I am reading it now.  I love her quote "Pain is inevitable but Misery is Optional"

"PS I Love You" by Cecelia Ahern

This doesn't follow the movie completely.  I have watched the movie 3 times and still take away something from the movie each time I watch it.

"Widow to Widow" by Genevive Davis Ginsburg

I am having a hard time with reading this one but I will eventually get through it.

"Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson M.D.

This is not about grief but about change.  I recommend this book to anyone who has a hard time dealing with change.

Another book I will probably go back and read again is "QBQ The Question Behind The Question" by John G. Miller

You don't have to be a player in the blame game. Take ownership of your actions and become accountable in your life.

This book comes with a CD and was one that all of the Accounting department at Austin Commercial was required to read and is about taking accountability for your actions both at work and in your life.

Kevin Young, ed., The Art of Losing: Poems of Grief and Healing

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126282089

Mary Oliver, Thirst

All of Oliver's poetry is helpful to read when grieving, but this volume was written after the loss of her partner.

This one is really good. "The mourners book of courage; 3o days of encouragement, I borrowed it from the library but I plan to buy a copy because it has such encouraging words of wisdom and I think that all of you would benefit from it.

Heaven Calling Hearing Your Father's Voice Everyday of the Year. 

I was given this daily devotional by my wife's twin sister's ladies church group a few days after my wife's memorial service. I begin reading it with a heavy heart the same day I received it. It has helped me cope with my lost and as my heart begin to mend my hope for others to read this devotional would feel the same as I did after finishing it.

May the Lord help you to realize your value to him each day. 

It's taken me a long time to pluck up the courage to do this (nearly five years) but I have actually just published my own book on Amazon.  It's my diary from the time my husband was ill and then for the year or so after he died (also a bit at the end on the experience of one of my children).  I wanted to share it so that those who are going through the same emotions now will feel it is OK and quite normal to feel what they are feeling.  It is called "But you cope so well" : Life through a young widow's eyes, and is available on Amazon kindle  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DONJ5UG.  I have it available for free PDF download for any Widowed Village members at: https://loismccullough.leadpages.net/e-book-offer/

It was the scariest thing in the world pushing the "publish" button, so I hope it can at least help someone out there!!

You rock.  Way to go.

Thanks Cristina.  I appreciate the positive encouragement xx

Never Letting Go, by Mark Anthony. 

Transcending Grief: Understanding the Lifelong Impact of Grief and How to Make it Meaningful by Ashley Davis Prend. It helped me immensely and I try to have a couple of these books at home to give to someone who I think might be helped by it.

This one is a novel about a young woman who loses her husband. It has humor, too, so if you're ready for a little black humor, it is a good one.

Good Grief by Lolly Winston

i am sorry. How could I say that she "loses" her husband? I never say that. He died. (She knows where he is). Duh and double duh. 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service