Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

Soaring Spirits provides widowed people with the chance to meet socially, and to create a local community of widowed friends through our Regional Social Group program. Groups are led by our awesome volunteer facilitators who plan meetings twice a month in their geographical area.

Our meetings are focused on assisting widowed men and women in rebuilding their social structure post-loss. We don’t provide any presented content, and all of our meetings are held in easily accessible public locations. Our aim is to assist widowed people in getting back out into the world, with a group of understanding friends by their sides!

Group events are posted here in Widowed Village (http://widowedvillage.org/events) and on the Soaring Spirits web site (http://www.soaringspirits.org/regional-social-events) - or click on the link below for a group near you.

If you feel a call to give back, and believe that the Soaring Spirits model of spreading hope via peer-based programming is a good fit for you - or if you have questions about this Soaring Spirits program - please contact me at [email protected] or post a comment here in this Forum. 

Soaring Spirits Regional Groups

ARIZONA

*Northern Arizona:  Email Linda at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

*Phoenix:   Candice & Cheryl are getting things ready. Visit the group's Facebook page HERE

*Tucson:   Email Chuck & Pam at [email protected] -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

CALIFORNIA

*Bay Area:  Email Nanci at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE; MeetUp HERE

*Inland Empire:  Email Shauna & Franci at [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE   

*Lake County:   Email Nani at [email protected] - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE      

*North Orange County:  Email Priscilla at [email protected]  -  or visit the group's MeetUp page HERE

*San Diego:  Email Susan, Paul & Steve at [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE; MeetUp HERE 

*San Gabriel Valley:  Email Leslee at [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE; MeetUp HERE

*San Joaquin Valley:   Email Shantelle & Bre at  [email protected] - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE; MeetUp HERE

*Simi Valley:  Email Michele at  [email protected]

*Temecula/Murrieta:   Email Carolyn at  [email protected] - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

*Ventura:  Email Vera & Susan at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's MeetUp page HERE

CANADA

*Barrie/Central Ontario:  Email Whitney & Irene at [email protected] - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

*Fredericton, New Brunswick:  Email Stacey at  [email protected]  - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

*Halton/Peel, Ontario:   Just getting started ... comment below to be notified when first meet is scheduled.

*Martensville/Saskatoon:    Email Rhonda & Leah at  [email protected]  - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE 

*Moncton Vivre avec le deuil:  Email Christelle at [email protected] - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE 

*Northeastern Ontario:   Email Devin at [email protected] or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

*Southwestern Ontario:   Just getting started ... comment below to be notified when first meet is scheduled.

*Toronto & GTA:  Email Suzanne at [email protected]or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

COLORADO

*Denver Area:  Email Sade & Charlene at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

FLORIDA

*Tampa:  Email Joyce at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

*West Palm Beach:  Email Judy at  [email protected]  - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

GEORGIA

*Atlanta:  Email Tamara at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE; MeetUp HERE

ILLINOIS

*South Suburban Chicago:   Email Jodie & Patti at [email protected] - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

*TriCounty:   Email Kim at [email protected]or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

INDIANA

*Indianapolis:   Email Chris at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

LOUISIANA

*Baton Rouge:   Email Lori at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

MASSACHUSETTS

*Middlesex/Worcester:    Email Kelley & Alison at [email protected] - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

MICHIGAN

*Muskegon:    Email Brie at [email protected] - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

MINNESOTA

*Minneapolis:  Email Renee & Kristin at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

NEBRASKA

* Omaha:   Just getting started ... comment below to be notified when first meet is scheduled.

NEVADA

*Las Vegas:   Email Dianne, Rose & Ann at  [email protected]  -  of visit the group's Facebook page HERE; MeetUp HERE

NEW JERSEY

*North Jersey:   Email Marion at  [email protected]  - or visit the group's MeetUp page HERE

*South Jersey:  Email Beth at  [email protected]  - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

NEW YORK

*NYC area:  Email Deneen at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's MeetUp page HERE

NORTH CAROLINA

*Raleigh:  Email Mary at [email protected]or visit the group's MeetUp page HERE

OREGON

*Central/Eastern Oregon:   Email Autumn at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's MeetUp page HERE

*Portland:   Just getting started ... comment below to be notified when first meet is scheduled.

PENNSYLVANIA

*Lehigh Valley:  Email Sonja at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

TEXAS

*San Antonio:  Email Sarah & Della at  [email protected]  -  or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

WISCONSIN

*Fond du Lac/Oshkosh:  Email Meredith, Stacie & Kate at [email protected]  - or visit the group's Facebook page HERE

Views: 6500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Janet. I got busy with Camp stuff and missed your post here. If you're still interested, send a note to Janine to get things started:  [email protected]

Thanks so much for answering these questions Dianne.  I joined this discussion so that I'd be notified whenever someone commented in here, but it seems to be a hit or miss thing.  Dang it!
I'm glad that I just received one tonight, though, so I could come in here and see all of the other comments/questions.
Thanks for doing a great job!!!

Hi Janet .... I just saw most of these messages tonight .... so sorry for the long delay.  I'm supposed to receive updates by email but it hasn't worked very well, evidently.

If you're still interested in leading a Dallas group, please email me at [email protected] and we can discuss it further.

:)

After I went to Camp Widow last year in San Diego, I setup a "Meetup" for widows/ers here in the SF Bay Area.  There was some response, but only 5 would come to the meetups.  I tried to schedule them throughout the Bay Area to accommodate them, but I tried doing this on my own.  I don't know if anyone from the SF Bay Area is stepping forward, but Janine (or Diane) let me know if I can share my input.  I disbanded the meetup because of the lack of interest from those originally signed up.  I think this is great that you are pulling this together.

Lori (Camp Widow alumni - 2012)

Good info, Lori.  I believe they're starting off with a limited number of locations for this initial phase, but your input will be very helpful as the regional groups grow. Janine is on vacation - but will be popping in when she returns to answer questions and contact those interested in getting involved.  Stay tuned!  

When will we know if the Salt Lake City one will happen again?

I will be driving back from a family trip on the 9th. Totally wanna try and go because that's my region.

Thanks.

They plan to have 2 meetings each month at each of the regional locations, Goosie. The ones in Utah are on June 9 in Murray and June 26 in Sandy.

You can see the upcoming events here in Widville on the Events page.  Here's a link to it:

http://widowedvillage.org/events/event/listUpcoming

OR - check out the calendar on the Soaring Spirits web page:  http://www.sslf.org/events/regional-events/

I think each of the regional groups will eventually have a Group page here in WV, too.  We're just getting started!

Ron and I are very interested in helping to get things rolling in the northwest, We will be at cww.  hope to find more out there.  we live in bellevue so are central to the puget sound area.

Syracuse wold be a bit of a drive for me.... 1-11/2 hrs on the thruway and their even t is on what would have been my hubby's 55th birthday.... hmmmm have to think about that one....

Dianne...what about an Alabama group?  I don't know that I have the skills to be a leader...but I can plan and facilitate.

Cyna

We don't have an Alabama group yet ... although there are many groups 'waiting in the wings' to get started. You would be a FABULOUS group leader, Cyna.  And you meet the requirement of having attended a Camp Widow event.

Send an email to Janine at [email protected] ... you can ask if anyone from Alabama has already inquired about starting a group and let her know you're interested. I'm going to start a group here in Southern Nevada.

Here's a link that explains what the groups are:  

http://www.sslf.org/regional-groups/what-when-where-and-how/

I would love to see a Colorado Group let me know when there is one please.. Thanks

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service