Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

As the weather warms and thoughts of summer begin to beckon me somewhere...with an "anywhere but here" kind of mentality, I start my annual battle of the mind about traveling alone. It's not insecurity, mind you. I have traveled a lot on business, but that's always a planned destination with purpose. Not much time to wander beyond the absolutes. A couple of my usual travel companions are tied into family jaunts in the next few months so I thought this might be the season I break out, and hopefully break free of "couple mania"... constant reminders of how great it was to travel with THE one I miss! What's worked for some of you? Have you traveled alone to somewhere exciting by yourself? Any suggestions, ideas?

Views: 1441

Replies to This Discussion

Hi CarolinaHeart...I am so glad you posted this...I have no words of wisdom but hope others do and will be watching for them....Bill passed 5 years ago...I live alone and although I have many times looked for different vacation  I would like to take ....there are times I need to get away and times I just want to.....I can't seem to do it...after living alone for 5 years....it seems kind of silly to me to plan to lay on a beach alone, have dinner alone, sight see alone.....all of my very close friends passed young at 50-51....so I am very much alone......PEACE

Last April I went on a 2 week road trip - alone...... I drove from Michigan to Texas where I visited a girlfriend and then across then took back roads to Colorado Springs to visit another girl friend - then took back roads home. I cried most of the drive to Texas - sometimes so hard I had to pull over - I realized that making new memories so far away from the safety of my home brought up a deep sadness and tears that I really can't explain. I was happy to find comfort with my dear friend - we spent our time together watching old movies and talking - just what I needed. When I left for the second part of my trip I stopped all along the way - took remote roads - got out of my jeep whenever I saw something that caught my interest. When I got to Colorado I went hiking, rock climbing and rode some trails on horseback - all new for me. There were still a few tears but mostly I felt renewed and strong. I returned home a different person - family and friends noticed. When my husband was dying he told me he wanted me to live a full life after he was gone - but for a long time I was just going through the motions - the trip which of the two weeks I was alone 8 of the day's was the beginning of starting to live a full life.....

Here's my 2 cents worth:  I unexpectedly answered an offer on Linked In and ended up traveling to South Africa for a month, working in a school to help students in a poor region improve their skills so they would be viable in a university setting.  The timing was maybe a little early in my grief journey, yet it was a huge growth time for me.  Learning another culture opens one's eyes also, and gives new appreciations.  I should also mention that i met a dear friend from WV in South Africa - so we actually met and will travel together when the opportunity arises.  

Last year, I signed up for a "roommate" on a single travel to India.  The make up of the group was interesting, but singles look out for each other in a way others do not.  (Our young guide from India observed this - that couples tend to stay in couples, whereas singles know everyone, know who's missing, intermingle more at dining tables, etc.)

I just completed a trip to Australia/New Zealand with a widow friend who has always wanted to go there also.  The travel company is not one I would choose again, as the numbers of participants was too huge.  But as a "two", we could mix and mingle with both singles and couples quite well.  The nature of the group in Australia was very open and the ages were very diverse.  15 of us went on to NZ and inherited additional people there - up to 48 people.  The nature of that group was very different, not quite as fluid.

I enjoy travel - and will continue in whatever way works!  I've not been quite brave enough to travel completely alone, as Travel Solo does.  Since I live in a rather isolated area, I think I appreciate group energy and interactions best.  I also appreciate not having to think after the trip is underway, as all lodging, experiences, etc. have been preselected.  I get to relax and enjoy the people and places.

I'll look forward to your updates!  

Pat, you sound like a kindred spirit!

DH died in November and in his last months I booked a small-ship, nature-focused cruise in Panama and Costa Rica.  I just got back on-line; the cruise ended this AM and I'm in San Jose, Costa Rica for a couple of days.  I had a fantastic time.  DH and I had taken this line (UnCruise) in Alaska twice and it tends to attract active, down-to-earth, curious, nature-loving people.  No fixed seating so I had a chance to have meals with just about everyone (only about 60 passengers).  More couples but they were nice people and frequently didn't do activities together so I might be having a conversation with just one or the other at any given time.

Iceland in August will be a little different since I'll be on my own but I'm still looking forward to it.

I'm also glad you posted this, Carolinaheart. I wish I had someone to travel with. I'm at 4yrs. No one I know is interested in traveling. I did travel to Ecuador for a month. The traveling was by myself, but I stopped in Houston and visited a niece and my daughter and family live in Ecuador. So, technically I didn't go on a trip by myself. Everything seems everything is per person double occupancy, with is expensive when you have to double.  Everyone I know in this town isn't interested in traveling. Those family members and friends that travel with a spouse don't seem to want a third wheel. I've even said  "hey, let me know if you're going somewhere, I can meet you"  I'm very interested seeing suggestions. 

I wish I had someone ..just one person to travel with....because I would be off and running...living alone doesn't give me the need to travel alone...I've worked and raised kids all my life, taken care of all the sick in the family....so I haven't traveled that much ....so it's not like I'm the adventurer....I would drive or fly anywhere is I had someone to visit....it's a destination with someone there...Bill and I took some nice trips so I don't feel the need to do it alone....I have one male friend..who also has no one to travel with...we've talked about traveling together....once he has his twins out of college ....$$$$ is hard to come up with right now for him....so ....I just roll with one day at a time and whatever God brings me is what's meant to be for me.....PEACE 

Thank you CarolinaHeart......I would love to get away...but it has to mean something to me....and to be with someone I enjoy....or I'm better off saving the money.....:)

Looks like we have the makings of a travel group! 

Wouldn;t that be nice.......Su

I'm serious. We could pick a place and date. Somewhere in the middle for a first one.  I'm in Oregon. Maybe only a couple of nights, in case we can't stand it. :D  Just a thought. 

I don't know why we couldn;t stand it....if we pick an interesting place in the middle.....treat each other with respect which I see no other way then we would all do ..talk, try to have some fun.....what could be a nicer short break....I';m in PA...

I have been having feelings like that too. 

I met one widow online here who purposefully took several short cruises even in the first year after her husband;s death. She just wanted to know she could do it. 

I have been thinking of buying some simply camping gear to camp in my car - maybe go up into the high country for a coupe of nights - for teh same reason - to know that I can do it. 

On the other hand   - there are some travel groups for single women. It could be a fun.

These links might help to give you some ideas:

http://www.women-on-the-road.com/female-travel-companions.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/feb/06/travel/tr-61482

Let me know what inspires you

Mary 

RSS

© 2017   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service