Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

As the weather warms and thoughts of summer begin to beckon me somewhere...with an "anywhere but here" kind of mentality, I start my annual battle of the mind about traveling alone. It's not insecurity, mind you. I have traveled a lot on business, but that's always a planned destination with purpose. Not much time to wander beyond the absolutes. A couple of my usual travel companions are tied into family jaunts in the next few months so I thought this might be the season I break out, and hopefully break free of "couple mania"... constant reminders of how great it was to travel with THE one I miss! What's worked for some of you? Have you traveled alone to somewhere exciting by yourself? Any suggestions, ideas?

Views: 1441

Replies to This Discussion

Great ideas, Maria Louisa!!  Thank you for posting!!

I have been wanting to get out and do things since my husband passed almost 11 months ago. But even when I just go to Walmart or something simple like that once I get there though I can hardly wait to get back home. I have though made a 2 night reservation in August to go to Laughlin Nevada. My husband and I really enjoyed going there so that's why I chose to go there. I hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew.

Hello Carolinaheart, I am new to this sight, and I read your thread last night and it was like God answered. I lost my husband 11-2014. We were full time RV for 7 years. We found out he had cancer 6-1 and he died 11-18. I moved back in our house and sold the rv. Now trying to deside sell the house and hit the road? I miss the rv life. How did you like Rv women?

My Husband died 3 years ago.   This last year I took a few day trips by myself.  Everything went well so I planned and went on a 1 week road trip.   It was so awesome!   I visited my Aunt and Cousins and stopped for 2 nights at Yosemite National Park.   I did some hiking.   It was magical.   My grown Daughters have children and work and are very busy.   All of my friends are either couples or still working.   I thought, if you don't do what you want now while you can, you will be losing out!   I am planning another trip for later this year.  

lizbeth4..I am so glad you enjoyed ...good for you going from a couple of days to a week.....I don't have a destination.....so wouldn't work for me ..(: I don't have family or friends I could take a trip and visit.....still thinking of what I can do....haven't given up

At almost 9 years out and in my early 60's, I have decided if I want to do some things I will just have to go for it. I bought a little (2 person I think) tent last summer and it sat in my bedroom. In March I went on a retreat in AZ. I have flown alone before, but always had a family member or good friend to meet me on the other end. I made it, found the shuttle and got to the womens empowerment retreat for military survivors. It was great. In April I packed that little tent into my car, drove across the state and went camping solo in the Witchita Wildlife Preserve for two nights. It was beautiful peaceful country and I enjoyed the wildlife.  Then I got a hotel, cleaned up, and went to a concert solo.  Trying to do the things I want and not letting going solo stop me.

Good for you, lyn!  You are an inspiration!

How encouraging..gives me hope!

I have one destination where I feel the most comfortable at being. Central coastal California has a little town along the beach called Cambria. It takes 10 hours to get there which is the bummer but once I am there I love smelling the ocean and watching the sea lions along the coast. It is difficult to travel by oneself but if I didn't who would I have to travel with? I am looking at some tours through the women travel sites and there is one - I think - through Odyssey that you pay for air fare and tour at the same time. It is not just for single women but I like the idea that I don't have to worry about getting the airfare separate. I know of one woman who traveled alone to Australia through a tour group and had a wonderful time. 

Glad to hear Cambria is still a nice little town and that you are comfortable going there. I visited Cambria when I lived in California at age 18, many years ago and it was beautiful

I have not traveled alone since my husband died.  I am not an adventurous person and now that I am alone even less so, if that's possible.  I feel like I "should" get out there and do at least some small road trips but I quickly talk myself out of that.  I drive less and less as times goes by and have come to realize that I am developing a fear of driving.  Not good.  So my world is quite small.  I have been invited to a concert that is about 100 miles from home, city driving involved and I kinda want to try it but I know I will not.  It's depressing.  It's anxiety and I have dealt with it all my life.  I am at a crossroads at this time, go for it, or give up.  

Hi Cindy...I am right where you are in my mind...Bill passed 5+ years ago...I was doing better 4+ years ago...then I am now....I feel as If I have done all I was interested in ..and now I sit in my house...I would love to go places, make new memories, share , have some fun, see a movie....BUT all of my lifelong friends have also passed very young....including my husband they were all 50-51....so I am very alone...I have joined groups, taken classes, and volunteered....nothing long lasting has come from any of it...I am seeing a counselor...but at this point I won't give up on God..so I feel my life will get better...but I have my days ....that being alone really catches up with me...and it's such a sad feeling...Peace

RSS

© 2017   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service