Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I am not a kid anymore I am 66.   The last time I dated was 45 years ago.  I am not sure that I want to date yet but am thinking maybe in the next year or so.

In the meantime I need a lot of help in HOW to date at my age. In the '60s as a late teen and in my early 20s I met most of those I dated at dances, I went on Friday and Saturday night around a country dance circuit.  Now if I meet men it is mainly as part of a couple and not as singles.

I don't want to go into online dating or go to a meet up I am not ready for that. But I would like to find someone to go to the movies etc with. 

Tell me your own experiences or where did you find that someone special?

Views: 41383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Slick, I know what you are going through, because I am in your situation too! I live in a rural small town that over the years has become a superb to the nearby cities. I have all I can do, on my current income after the loss of my husband and his income, trying to maintain a roof over my head and all the expenses that that entails, with little left over for "extras". It is a burden that I carry everyday. I found it very interesting that you were thinking of moving out of your huge metropolitan city for lack of affordable activities, because I was just thinking about selling my home and moving to a huge metropolitan city. My thinking was that I would have more opportunities to find cheaper forms of entertainment and more opportunities to meet new interesting people. I could use the change in my life right now, as it has become stale and stagnant. After reading your post, I am going to have to think long and hard about what it is exactly that I am in search of, before I pick up roots and regret my decision in the long run. So thank you for that!

As far as the Y goes, it is very expensive, but it does offer a lot of opportunities. My husband and I joined a Y near us many years ago. The Y  near us did offer income based memberships, of which we didn't qualify, but we did do the monthly payment plan option that made it more affordable, and if I remember back then, it was around $30 a month. I don't know if that is an option for you, but it may be worth a looking into. 

Sorry Beloved Peach ..I just saw this....it is very expensive where I live...the county itself...and in the Phila suburbs is not what it;s cracked up to be...everything around here is in the city..horrible , expensive parking....traffic...mostly happy hours which I'm no longer into....to live in the city which would be easier..because everyone walks..is outrageously expensive...so I thought of going out a little further then what I am....a little quieter....more for you money...maybe some nice activities...there are some good Meet up groups but I live at least an hour from anything I'm interested in and everything is 8 at night....I;m not comfortable driving that distance at night...during the day wouldn't bother me at all...everyone works around here...I have a disability that would stop that...two shoulder surgeries.....neck and back...I get around like a 30 year old ..but don't have an 8 hour on the go day in me..anymore....

My daughter invited me to go to the Y on her membership and maybe try a class or two..I am going to give it a try....

@Bobbysgirl:  What you just said is advice my mother gave me in my 20s and for all that she was wrong about almost everything else, she was right about this:  The way to meet people is to do things you enjoy.  I would add to this "Be the kind of person you yourself would want to hang out with."  I spent much of my youth seeing the dark cloud behind every silver lining, and I'm not going back there again.  

I moved to a new community in a new state.  I'm fortunate in that I moved to a great neighborhood where they invited me to join the book club immediately.  I joined a bunch of meetups -- movies, ethnic food, progressive politics, walk and talk -- a bunch of them.  Then a group started up in my area for women 50+ aging alone, with an aim towards forming a social circle to make friends and have mutual support.  There are about six of us that are hoping we can find a way to form an intentional community when we get older.

Like you, I've accepted that the partner/marriage/man part of my life is over.  Every now and then I find myself thinking I would like to meet someone, but the truth is that the one I want is the one I had (even with all our problems), and someone new would fill up the space, but not the place in my heart and soul.  I find it liberating to for once in my life not have to worry about whether men find me attractive.  

I think it is up to each of us to find the silver lining.  The revelation to me was that the more positive I acted (and sometimes one has to start as "act as if" until it becomes natural), the more people liked me.  That people LIKED me was a revelation.  Today I have more friends than I've ever had.  It is not the life I would have asked for, but it is a good one, and I don't make myself nuts comparing it to the old one.  

My mother became a negative buzzkill that no one wanted to be with, and she was miserable after she was widowed for the last 12 years of her life.  I vowed not to be the same and for me it is working.  For you too, it appears.  I have not done the "vacation alone" thing yet, but you're helping give me the courage to try it.

Solo vacations are very liberating. You do what you want, when you want, without consulting anyone. We are responsible for our own lives.

Bob and I always did everything together and I never imagined that I could do solo traveling. I am fortunate that my sons encouraged me to try it. 

I've enjoyed my solo vacations, too, and didn't expect that I would.  I've done a few trips with friends and found that I have the bad habit of always being the one to "give in" when we each wanted to do something different. When I go alone I get to do exactly what I want ... or I can choose to do nothing at all. It works for me. 

I wish I could do that. I loved sharing vacations with my husband.

The same happens to me...I always give in....I met 2 widows at a grief group the first year after Bill passed....we became I thought friends....we did different things together ..never seemed to matter if one wasn't able to go...then I was asked to go see Magic Mike and a lunch..and I said I would pass on the movie unless they could decide on something else and if not it's OK I will meet them after the movie for lunch..neither have spoken to me since..it's been almost 6 years....I had them to my home numerous times...entertained...and got dumped over a stupid movie....so I would probably do better alone too....since I have limited funds I would really have to decide where to go...and that has been a problem for me with travelling and moving....

Solo vacations were strange (and expensive) at first, but have become more enjoyable/interesting as time has gone by.

I figure I'll continue doing this for as long as I enjoy the experience. I've been to places in the US and abroad.

I have done some solo travel and some with friends as my destination. Single supplements is expensive but once you accept that and see it as the cost of not sharing with someone who is incompatible you just make the decision. In Australia distance is a problem as I have long waiting periods alone in airports but a good book helps. I belong to a few organisations and kept a few friends from the past but still spend a lot of time alone. I do however indulge in wishful thinking. That imbues the past with a rosy Glow and makes the present less attractive.

with friends as a destination...I don't think I would ever be home..:)

I'm glad to see that others are venturing out.  Soaring Spirits has suggested a moderated chat on the subject at some point.  My husband and I traveled to many countries together and I'd also done a lot on my own- before I married and as a business traveler.  I've continued since his death- Central America last April, Iceland and Greenland last August, India and Nepal planned for this March, and Edinburgh and Paris in September.  Ron couldn't tolerate hot climates so I'm exploring those now- also wandering more since I no longer have the worry about wearing him out on the way to our destination.  I went back to our favorite B&B in Missouri- full of memories of the places we'd been together but this time I did a lot more bicycling on the Katy Trail- 70 miles over 4 days.  I always bring some of his ashes with me and leave them behind.   I'd told him I was going to do that and he liked the idea! 

It's a different road without my travel companion but still a good one.

Athena, you are amazing, you obviously possess a real zest for life. As long as you continue to have good health, you go girl!  Not only is it your travel but your positive attitude and outlook on life.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service