Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I am not a kid anymore I am 66.   The last time I dated was 45 years ago.  I am not sure that I want to date yet but am thinking maybe in the next year or so.

In the meantime I need a lot of help in HOW to date at my age. In the '60s as a late teen and in my early 20s I met most of those I dated at dances, I went on Friday and Saturday night around a country dance circuit.  Now if I meet men it is mainly as part of a couple and not as singles.

I don't want to go into online dating or go to a meet up I am not ready for that. But I would like to find someone to go to the movies etc with. 

Tell me your own experiences or where did you find that someone special?

Views: 47649

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, there are bad guys out there and they all are not men!

I did the online dating route and encountered a number of men. Some good; some fun; some where it was difficult to even stay for a 45-minute coffee time.   However, during the meeting and greeting time, my guard was always up. Safety first. Listen to your gut. Have a back-up plan. Be very, very careful. The effort was worth it for me because I finally found a wonderful, caring, delightful man who I've been with for three years now. Wish we had found each other sooner! 

I don't want to kiss any FROGS!!  Coffee with them will be my limit.

I got another "please contact me outside Match.com, my subscription is about to lapse" message from another guy.  At least he was in a local area code.  I reported both of these; Match makes that very easy. 

There some that look promising; I find that looking at pictures tells a lot (e-Harmony wouldn't let me see pictures without paying).  What they wear (a shirt with a sports team logo in every shot, when I have little interest in team sports, for example), their surroundings (not into motorcycle guys and there seem to be a lot in my area), whether they choose a variety or post only a badly-lit selfie or none at all, etc.  And yes, I look for the possibility of sexual chemistry if I got to know him well enough.   

Still not ready for a paid membership!  Will keep you posted.

Well, it just got weirder.  I was poking through profiles and found two men that I know.  Perfectly nice men... for someone else.  One is the tailor who made a lot of the really good pieces of my work wardrobe before I retired.  (I guess he knows my measurements, huh?)  I know the other because I've seen him at Toastmasters events over the years.  I don't see the potential for attraction in either case.  It could be darned awkward if either of them is interested, especially the first, where I see even less potential.

I do find it reassuring that at least two profiles are of real men with real pictures of themselves who are, as far as I know, harmless.

Whatever happened to friends and family members introducing you to their unmarried friends? I met Ray at a dance but probably would have met him eventually as we found out we had mutual friends. My sister met her husband through mutual friends. My sisters-in-law met their husbands through work or school or mutual friends at parties. Maybe we need to help other widows/ widowers out by arrangimg some meet ups and playing Cupid.

I think a lot depends on whether they think the friend would find us attractive, or even not wanting to rock the boat in a circle of friends.  After all, if it doesn't work out, that causes problems in the whole "friend constellation."  I met my husband through a mutual friend.  It wasn't a fix-up; she was publishing a 'zine in those days and he was the guy who ran it off on his employer's copy machines.  And we just hit it off.  Did your sisters-in-law get formally "introduced" by their friends, or were they at a social event and just clicked with someone?  I know my friend didn't plan a "fix-up", she just wanted to get me out of the house.  Perhaps it's more like that.

It still happens- a woman in my church in our age group is dating a really nice man she met through mutual friends.  They're both widowed.  It gives me hope.  

It may be that most people don't want to get involved in someone's personal business by suggesting a potential date for them and, as noted earlier, might be worried about what happens if it doesn't work out. My friends know I'm open to dating; every once in awhile I let them know of some of the more interesting profiles I see on the dating sites.  (The latest was an Episcopal priest with 4 kids who'd been legally separated from his wife for 6 years but was still married "for family reasons"- presumably to keep them on his insurance.  Hey, at least he was honest.)  I'm still not ready to pull the trigger and get a paid membership to the dating sites.  Still hoping to meet a good man in the normal course of things.

I am the end of a six month subscription at ourtime.com....Since joining, I have received explicit voicemails from sexbots AND when I go to "search" on ourtime.com, my McAfee webadvisor indicates RED-meaning the site is unsafe and/or sells your info to others as well as placing "PUPs" (potentially unwanted programs) on your computer...Just thought I'd pass the word along.

My experience  with  ourtime  contained  nothing  unsafe.  I kept my personal  email  private  and  only corresponded  through  emails on site at ourtime which is  what they advise when you join. Most of my experience  was  fine-  corresponded with a  few interesting  men  but not suitable  for my purposes-friend  only.  Any time  there was a questionable email  they give  you the option  to block  anyone  you do not  want contact with.  one box. one  check mark.   Also  I never  gave  out personal information  like  address or phone numbers.   My computer  gave  no warnings about  the ourtime  site.   I found  it  well-run  and  safe.  I learned  a lot about  what I didn't  want from that  experience.  But I was  cautious.   No phonecalls  and  no pups  to the best  of my knowledge.   That was  about  2-3  yrs  ago.  Might  have been changes  but I found  it acceptable.  fyi

Thanks for your telling of your experience with ourtime.

I haven't paid for a subscription to OurTime but took my profile down and Unsubscribed to e-mails- couldn't find a way to disconnect completely, of course.  I just found that their daily e-mail of "prospective matches" seemed to be created by re-shuffling the deck of guys in my age group and location and dealing 6 off the top.  Many were team sports and motorcycle enthusiasts- both are fine for other people but just not me at all.  Others had "finished high school".  My late husband had had to drop out of college when he ran out of money, and he was a very smart man, but I'm more likely to find compatibility with someone who's also got a degree.  Clearly they weren't doing much to "match" anyone. 

HI All,

About a year after my divorce I was remarking to a coworker that the gals in the "Wave Cage" were starting to be interesting.  He told me that I needed help and later that night he and his wife chatted.  She knew a coworker who had gone through a divorce and that she needed to get out.  They arranged a blind date for us and we went out for dining and dancing.  She nearly backed out but her parents packed her bags and shoved her out of the house.  I nearly backed out but my friend and his wife arranged for me to stop by their house to fix something and with neither of us knowing what was going on, Susan was there and I met her.

We went out that night and had a wonderful time.  That was Saturday, I was so interested in Susan that I asked if she and her son would like to tour the Aircraft Carrier I was stationed on.  The tour was a success, and we decided that we would date, once in a while.  After 6 months we were best friends, and 6 months later I was handed orders moving me from Jacksonville FL, to Norfolk VA.  That's when I realized that my "best friend" was even more serious, that I loved her and wanted to marry her.  She said "Yes" and we had 35 wonderful years together.  

Friends can help.  

Hugs,

Frank

Slick, glad you are happy and at peace,that is s good place to be. Also that you have a plan for the future. At going on for six out I am still not quite there. Unfortunately my "cup of coffee" moments have never led much further but I have my widow and widower friends and have become content with that. One friend told me her mother-in-law remarried at 83 so there is still hope...lol.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service