Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I am not a kid anymore I am 66.   The last time I dated was 45 years ago.  I am not sure that I want to date yet but am thinking maybe in the next year or so.

In the meantime I need a lot of help in HOW to date at my age. In the '60s as a late teen and in my early 20s I met most of those I dated at dances, I went on Friday and Saturday night around a country dance circuit.  Now if I meet men it is mainly as part of a couple and not as singles.

I don't want to go into online dating or go to a meet up I am not ready for that. But I would like to find someone to go to the movies etc with. 

Tell me your own experiences or where did you find that someone special?

Views: 52576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You would think so but no. They SAY sense of humor but only if you’re six feet tall, handsome and rich. I am none of those. If I played in the ER there would be code blues all over the place! 

I'd respond to that ad!  

And the guy I'm dating is not six feet tall, handsome or rich. He's smart, considerate, cuddly and-yes, funny. A finely-tuned sense of humor is essential for me.  And it sure beats some I've seen, including one that read, in its entirety, "I like outdoors, horseshoes and tractors" and another reading only "I like to ride my Harley".  I joke that the guy I'm dating is the first one who WASN'T in love with his motorcycle-  Guy #1 had ridden his from KC to Alaska, Guy #2 was having his shipped to Europe so he could follow the paths of Marco Polo (ending at China- he couldn't get a license) and Guy #3 went off on a 2-week trip on his after our first meeting and ghosted me.  (He'd also lost his wife only 2 months before after a long illness- I think he just wasn't ready.)

That’s cool also. I’m happy for both of you. I’ve read many profiles and most are divorced women looking for someone to do the things THEY like with. It ain’t about what you’re doing. It who you’re doing it with. A lot of women are Harley riders, smokers and looking for tall men. Don’t like smoking or motorcycles. One women said she raised dogs. Now I knew this woman thought she was out of my league but I asked what kind of dogs? I like dogs and didn’t expect a connection. It was just a question. All She responded with was “Good luck in your search.” I said I realize I’m not that good looking and that my problem but it was only a question. She let me have it saying she wasn’t shallow yet told me jerks like me were what made the place bad and not to contact her again. I sent back that there was her judgement of me and that she could have said not interested and by the way I raise pit bulls and feed them raw meat.but didn’t. Superficial, self centered, angry divorced women? Maybe. If that’s how they feel. Others don’t respond at all even after swiping right and liking you. Go figure.

Just so you know -- the guy who found me is not six feet tall or handsome or rich. He is caring and supportive and funny and keeps our lives interesting.

Trust that your next lady is waiting some place and WILL show up! When we found each other, I was 75 and he was 80. It will happen when it is meant to happen.

That is so cool! I’m really happy the two of you found each other.

Humor has always been a defense mechanism for me. Sometimes it keeps me from crashing or al east prolongs it. I would try to crack up the doctors and nurses at the hospital on some of our many trips there. Do the same now at work but that’s just to postpone the Inevitable. Then my first day off i’d Crash big time. It’s gotten better over time but now Monday’s are the worst and I don’t know why.

One of the men In a group I belong to uses humour a lot, keeps us laughing, but I wonder if it is the sad clown thing covering up for a lonely heart. He is not a guy to reveal his feelings. For me I need that element of truthtelling in a potential partner. Maybe sometimes show your serious side to women, particularly in a one-on-one one conversation. Not all of them will like you for it but some will find it attractive. I say to people:" This is me, warts and all."  I too can be a clown but as a counsellor in a previous part of my life know how to deal with more serious nconversations too.

No matter the age; 16 or 66, the nerves are gonna be high strung.    Last year I met a man not long after my husband passed away.  Too soon?   Not to family and friends who knew what I had been through, I hadn't really had a husband for a long time.    This man is no longer now a part of my life, but we hit it off so well, so much in common, as I said, he's gone now, but he sure was around to help me get over the loss.   I'm not sure I would have done nearly as well if I had been sitting home alone thinking of being alone.    We all need friends; female AND male.     Go, be yourself.   A true man will like what he sees when he finds you.   Those that are looking for the "dolled up dolly" are not real men.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service