Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I am not a kid anymore I am 66.   The last time I dated was 45 years ago.  I am not sure that I want to date yet but am thinking maybe in the next year or so.

In the meantime I need a lot of help in HOW to date at my age. In the '60s as a late teen and in my early 20s I met most of those I dated at dances, I went on Friday and Saturday night around a country dance circuit.  Now if I meet men it is mainly as part of a couple and not as singles.

I don't want to go into online dating or go to a meet up I am not ready for that. But I would like to find someone to go to the movies etc with. 

Tell me your own experiences or where did you find that someone special?

Views: 54572

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A couple of days ago I decided to resubscribe to Match. What I forgot is you have to pay to respond to the messages and likes you get. So I quickly deleted. It kind of freaks me out that you have to pay for this. But I think most of all it just shows me I am not quite ready to become involved with anyone. My days are full with either events and friends or nice alone time with my weaving and spinning. I feel I am just getting into this retirement rhythm.

Does it disturb anyone else that you have to pay for this kind of thing?

Not  at  all! It's  a business  not  a volunteer run  website.  There  is  a  lot of  work  done  to  keep  one  of  these  sites  going.  I  joined  one  I  think  the  third  year out?  It  was  not  for  me.  I  did  correspond  for  sometime  with  I  think it  was three  or  four  men  with  which  I  had  a  lot  in  common  but  they  were  long  distance...I  came  to  realize  I  had  zero  interest  in  compromise or sacrifice in  any  new  relationship  and  as  a  senior  it  would  have  been  both  on  my part.  I  thought  the  fee  was  fair  for the time  I belonged.  It,   like  any  business  is  there  to  make  money.  I  think  someone  told  me  there  are  "free"  dating  websites  but  I  never  checked  them  out. Just  not my  cup  of  tea.  For  many  it  turns  out  good. and  for  them  that's  dandy.   I think  Susan  if  you think  again  you  will  see  the  safety  factor n  paying  for site.  Security and  anonymity  being  two-

Yep, these are all for-profit businesses, even the holier-than-thou eHarmony. I would not overstate the safety factor on these sites, though.  They are full of disclaimers and they are not staffed to verify everyone who signs up.  All of them are rife with scammers who prey on lonely people.  The sites have zero liability for this.  Some sites screen for registered sex offenders, but while that may protect you from predators within the US, it will not protect you from scammers operating overseas.

There is a lot of information online accessible by a simple Google search about the limits of dating site liability, how to recognize a scammer, and so on.  It's important to remember that these are for-profit businesses.  They are not "services."  If people find each other for lasting relationships through these sites, that's all well and good, but their primary focus, as with all businesses, is profit.

I'm not saying that no one should ever use a dating site, just that it's important to keep your wits about you.

A paid site is marginally more likely than a free site to attract a better quality of people, but these fees do not deter scammers.  A few hundred dollars a year to join a dating site is nothing compared to the hundreds of thousands of dollars to be had from people they can lure into their nets.

I meet people in person by joining activities that interest me. I think meeting people online can be dangerous. Some people might have good experiences but I have read about people being taken advantage of. A lot of widowed people are lonely and the scam artists out there know this. Meeting people in person and in activities you enjoy eliminate a lot of risk.. I travel solo and meet many people, and I am very careful about any information about myself. Bob was a very careful man and I never thought about being ultra careful, but since losing him I learned to guard my privacy.

i have never understood why some people expect products or services “for free”, from strangers. People who contact you by phone or email are trying to make a living, they are not giving away anything. I have caller ID and I do not talk to strangers. Peace to all.

I appreciate everyone's words and can begin to accept the fact that you pay for the responses. I will also say it still freaks me out! so obviously I am not ready to go online.

I think I am happy to pay. For some reason, I assume that scammers etc would pick a site that they don't have to pay for...maybe I am wrong. I would be hoping that it would be a case of ...you get what you pay for...Haven't ventured onto one yet. Realized that after six years, I am pretty set in my ways. But...sure would be nice to have a man to go to dinner with, a movie etc. I do those things now, with good women friends, but I think you get what I mean.

Susan, at the moment  I am not looking to go out with strangers so I guess a dating site is not for me. I did go out with the man I used to go out to dinner with occasionally but today it was lunch which suits me better. It was nice but I have realised that things have changed from my perspective now since the last operation. For now  I don't want to put any effort into building a new relationship. Maybe I will change my mind later but for now I am better off on my own.

The man I sometimes go out with is in hospital, I will go in and see him once, I won't go in and see him multiple times. It has not been that kind of relationship, it has to be a friendship, nothing more according to him, so one visit for friendship sake. Of course putting limits on a friendship has it's own limitations.

I would  not  go to  make  a hospital visit  immediately...send  or  drop  off  get  well wishes or  sm.  bouquet of  flowers  for  staff  to give  him...   sounds  a  bit  pushy  visiting  someone  who  has  made  it  clear  you and  he   are  merely  friends  and will never  be  more.

If he is  hospitalized  for weeks  or  goes  into  hospice  or  long  term  care make  your  one  visit  at that  time.   You  can  pray  for  him  as  much  as  your  heart  moves  you however.  Just  my  suggestion  as  one  who  reads  all  your  posts.   Hugs   lj

@only1sue:  Are you actual friends, or are you "in the friend zone"?  The former means you step up to the plate for each other in times of need, and the latter is "I'm not really attracted to you but I don't want to hurt your feelings." If the former, go see him.  If the latter, send flowers or a note.

Sue...I'm  assuming  this  is  the  man  you  at one time  had  dinner  with  several  times  w/o  mutual  friends  from  the  club  you  both  are  a part  of   not  knowing about it  and  then    his  invites  for   dinner  stopped...?  You  sure  don't  want a repeat  of  the  last friend  you  lost whose  family did  not  have  facts  correct...

Suggestions here have been to possibly bring flowers to your hospitalized friend. Be sure that is OK before you do it. Some hospitals no longer allow them, especially in Intensive care units or if there are breathing issues or allergies. Fragrances can cause problems. Artificial flowers or a plant (like sedums) that does not smell would be OK.

I once worked in nursing homes and sometimes after a funeral kind people would bring many bouquets for us to hand out to patients. It created an extra chore for the nurses and aides, especially if the bouquets looked like funeral arrangements. We would try to remake the arrangement and put it (or them) in the offices, reception areas, other places with public access. Even then, believe it or not, some patients with dementia tried to eat the flowers!

It's one of those cases of  "can't win for losing".  So ASK ahead of time just to be certain.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service