Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I had a person who was in the throes of divorce tell me that MY loss was "beautiful and romantic." My husband was dying of cancer at the time.

I felt sorry for her, and so, she went un-punched.

Views: 88637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a doctor tell me four months later after my husband died that I was going to be remarried by this year 2018? I asked her did sixty year old women date and remarry? Sounds crazy?  She gave me the whole nine yards on how to date and where to volunteer to meet new men, and change churches to see if there are any eligible men there. I think the majority of doctors probably get about an hour's worth of grief study in their curriculum.(No disrespect to the medical profession) 

I think some people are still in the mindset of the Freudian belief system that you should be able to work and to love. He didn't deal with the aspects of grief as far as I can remember. Funny thing, is that we are all still loving our deceased spouses! He said to love. He didn't stipulate if the person had to be alive or not. 

It was not so much insensitive as it was unsolicited ...

I was rudely asked why after 10yrs I was still calling myself a widow - uh, b/c I haven't remarried! Apparently, there is also a time limit on referring to one's self as widowed - probably divorced or remarried, too ...

Wow Melissa, that’s one I have never heard before. Widow refers to marital status meaning we are not single, not divorced, or married. I don’t feel we belong in those categories unless it’s being used for a head count, in which case divorced people would be single too. That’s the way I look at it. If things have changed, that’s news to me! 

Ah, yes, there are a great many misconceptions about the newly widowed as well as the seasoned widowed. In that particular conversation, my cousin was saying that if I kept referring to myself as a widow I will never get a date - to the prom ... :-)
To her, widowed means mental illness which of course, it's not. Grief is a reaction to the loss of a strong attachment - a deep & meaningful relationship ...
Now that I've turned 60, there is concern that since I'm not looking for a male companion or husband I will die alone - I hope so, no one needs to go w/me. Or no one will be around to care for me, my 50yr old niece lives w/me - she's doing a great job w/ALL the chores plus the cooking - she is my companion ...
At my age, most people are either widowed or divorced or a stray - being single is more of a stigma at this stage. Apparently, the proper term is "unattached" for whom the Starbucks barista as well as everyday cashiers could care less ...
People say strange things ... :-)

SM— Just for discussion’s sake, just say you were interested in dating and were approached by a man. Does this person believe marital status would not be questioned? Being a widow should not freighten anyone away unless the person is still grieving or is unable to let go of the past. I don’t mean ever to speak about the past but there is readiness and unreadiness IMO, 

I don’t know about the dying alone angle. We all come here alone and leave that way. (Neither by choice, usually)  of course it would be wonderful to find someone to enjoy spending time with, but I find after nearly ten years out, odds are I could never come close to replacing what I have lost. Alone kind of scared me in the beginning, but just as I had found peace over my loss, I have found peace in being alone. 

It seems the perception of being a (poor) widow still exists, but I come from a generation when women began to take more control of their lives, at  least for the most part. I have not made Widow part of my name and refer to it only if questioned about marital status or more importantly, someone’s “need” to know. I hope this person’s perception didn’t upset you in any way. Truthfully, I never gave one tenth of a second what life would be like if something happened to my husband first so I’m not sure if before becoming a widow, I may have thought the same way. I think we all have to find our own way through this world doing what is right for us. Having a man would not make me happy or feel better about life unless we were right for each other. I hate to admit this but the longer I am alone, the more benefit I see in remaining alone.

My cousin has done grief differently w/both her son & 2nd husband. Within months she found a new partner after each of their deaths - it was a matter of survival. To answer your question, regardless whether it's a man or woman, in general, the topic of marital status does come up. I don't find it to be a big deal to answer truthfully. As for my cousin, there are many issues we don't agree on ...
Long before Bob died, I decided not to date or remarry if I became widowed. I went though grief w/my Mother twice - after the death of my father w/6 siblings then her 2nd husband 5 years later being left w/a total of 12 kids under the age of 18. Unfortunately, back then as it is now, people suggest socializing to cope w/grief early out rather than take needed time to convalesce. Damage to one's family as well as one's self can easily become a reality during the throes of grief & loneliness ...
I did struggle at times w/my commitment - feeling that if I found a new partner all the madness would simply go away. To get back on track I visited the young widow's board I frequented back then - an avalanche of mistakes I learned from others - some quite harmful ... Ugh!
As I age, the less responsibilities I want. Shedding them is part of my retirement ...
Ten years out, being on my own feels quite natural ... :-)

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service