Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I had a person who was in the throes of divorce tell me that MY loss was "beautiful and romantic." My husband was dying of cancer at the time.

I felt sorry for her, and so, she went un-punched.

Views: 91116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree 100%

Yes that is just so yuk.  And the creeps who will call after midnight thinking that making these offerings is appropriate.  The life long friends.. fortunately one can block them on your cell phone.    I changed my number and I moved.  I only gave my new address to people once they were on their way.  Then I moved again to a temporary location.   Hearing comments like, " hey you've still got it in you" huh?  You're right.   I don't know how these weirdos are wired.

I know this is an older post, but soon after Gil died, his sister called a few days later and asked what happened to all of his money. I was like what money? With him being ill and not being able to work, the proceeds that he got from selling the family home went into bills. Little did I know that this sister and his son's mother were still in touch with each other. Three months later, I got a call from his son's mother asking did Gil die a dog? I was like huh? Then she proceeded to tell me that how good friends they were and that he had loaned her his car when we were married and that nothing happened between the two of them. I was again like huh? My husband was a very generous man. Little did she know that he loaned that same car to his male friend while his car was in the shop. My niece got her car repossessed, and he offered to let her use the car. It was basically his nature to want to help people out. 

I'm just thankful, that I no longer have to deal with his side of the family. My family wasn't much better.

Peach,

I don't know what it is about family but what I have learned on here is most of them will stab you in the back given a chance. 

I'm remarried now and I have seen through the smoke screen of my new in-laws.

Families I have come to the realization are like drinking buddies.   They will be your friend as long as the alcohol is flowing  !  Not the best outlook I know but that's where I'm at on this now. 

Hi Doug,

So very true. Some families are like drinking buddies. As long as there is a flow of money and plenty of liquor, lies and good times, everything is honky dory with these in-laws. After death, it was like I was completely excommunicated from the family. Gil didn't have much contact with them anyway, and if he did, he never told me about it. I'm looking forward to  the day when I can put all of this into perspective and start feeling normal again. I just chalk it up to the fact that if he didn't bother to tell me certain things, it was for my own good. These XXXXs had no reason saying anything to me except to offer condolences. However, things don't always work out the way we want them to. Thank goodness things are calming down for me in certain areas.

Well this isn't the WORSE thing I've heard ... that would hands-down be the co-worker who told me on my first day back to work just two days after my husband's service that she knew EXACTLY how I felt because she had to put her dog down the week before.

But ... I was rather surprised with how a casual friend - who is widowed herself - responded to my post on Facebook today about the tears I shed seeing my husband's car loaded up on the tow truck to head off to its new owner.

Her response?  "It's time! ... every time I see you still hanging with other widows I pray that you aren't hanging too long in the past!"  

I assured her I'm doing quite well, thank you ... and I'm grateful for my widowed friends who, unlike the friends who disappeared after Vern died, have stuck by me.

Most widows would understand this, I certainly do!  I don't live in the past but the past is part of who I am.  And every once in a while, something from my past can bring tears. It's not nearly as intense as when I was grieving, but it still happens to me even after nine years.  I hope you are able to disregard her remarks as  plain nonsense.

I think some people don't know what to say out of their mouths. I chalk it up to their stupidity. It's not hanging in the past but realizing that the love lives on. I found out that the relationship continues as well. As pointed out by my priest, yes the dead still hear us. I know Gilbert probably was laughing his ass off at the way some of these people were acting and some of the things that were coming out of their mouths. People are pitiful.

Today a one time friend of mine emailed me to say that this day, the anniversary of my husband's death, would always be a little sad for her, and then she went on about what a great time she had had seeing Hamilton the night before.  This is hardly the most insensitive thing I've heard, and I know she meant well, but it just hit me that way, to show me what a chasm there is between us.  She might have left off the "little."  She might have not bundled it with a my-great-fun-time message.  Today (or yesterday for me because of the time difference of where it occurred) it has been 3 years since I lost my husband suddenly.  I spent a long time wanting to die, a long time being only half alive, a long time in which almost all of my relationships "realigned," a long time struggling all the way down to the bone to find a way to go on, and I have come to a point where I feel as if I have made it through, where I feel as if I am not destroyed.  I have come through the worst thing and am ready to start living again.  Ready to start again is a better place, but still daunting.  The anniversary of my husband's death is a day that is more than a "little" sad for me.  But I'm the b#$%@ if I respond to her that way, right?  I'm the one who isn't moving on.  I'm x, y or z.

A few days ago someone told me that he was heartbroken too.   Poor, poor thing.  It seems he had to give up his horses.

When her sister told me I was an enabler. Not coming back at her took a LOT of self control.

I may have replied to this previously, I am not certain.

My wife had a friend she'd known since Junior High and he never stopped having a crush on her. She had no interest in him in that regard and I always believed her and he never seemed like a threat to me at all. On the day of her memorial he was sitting in the sanctuary prior to the service. I walked over to him and said hello, thanked him for coming. 

He looked at me and said "You were lucky to have her." I replied "Yes I certainly was." Later his comment gnawed at me and I wish I'd said "She was lucky not to have you!"  All of the wonderful supportive words people have shared and I remember his.

There was one other comment from another person weeks later "If you were to take your own life after losing two wives to cancer I think people would understand." 

300 loving comments and 2 strange comments from 2 idiots. I guess I got off lucky! 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service