Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

My wife of 19-years passed away from an incurable disease 2/12/2014.  The week after the funeral, I enlisted the help of my sister-in-law to go through 3-boxes of her books and some clothes.  What a mistake that was!  Books - no problem, take them all.  Clothes - Man did that rip right through me; and it was my idea!  How stupid can I get?  Guess I didn't learn my lesson since I'm posting it for all to see. You're thoughts?

Views: 16356

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doug, I would contact your local Council on Aging, I bet they know someone who could use it.

vintage56(barb

Great idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Next time we get rained out of the fields I will definitely be looking into this.

From time to time I come across something belonging to Ray, clothes, shoes, bits and pieces that I am never going to use.  Each time it is a hard decision to make to get rid of it and this is after five years.  I still have a lot of boxes to go through from where they have been stored and not reviewed in a while so I guess that is an ongoing problem. The hardest things to part with are the birthday presents he never opened as he died eleven days after his 70th birthday.  I find them a poignant reminder that by then he was really beyond caring about life.  I miss him still.

Well I finally got rid of Frank's favorite..................................knife!! Just a butter knife but he liked it because it had a big handle. He did not like dainty flatware. I have been carrying it around out of habit but now I have all silver flatware (big no-no before, it bothered his teeth). So I finally donated it to the kitchen at the food shelf where I volunteer and will be happy knowing it is there.

Still have his bathrobe (mine now), sweatshirt (too stained to donate, too good to throw out, I use it sometimes) and a hand knit hat he got during chemo and used to wear a lot. I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

Dear Doug,

I think we hope that if we get the "stuff" out of sight, it will help us not to remember the things that bring so much pain. The first thing I packed up was all Tom's shoes. I certainly couldn't wear them, and just felt them unnecessary. I have passed them on to some less fortunate members of his family. I kept his dress shirts, but they are packed away. His daughter wanted his T shirts. They all were screen prints of different places we went and events we attended. She made them into a quilt and used many of his jeans for another quilt, and Christmas stockings. She did a great job. I might use his shirts for a quilt, but I am not ready to start yet. I loved my husband so much, but feel I must move on. He is gone, and I am here. I do have several beautiful photos of us in our living room.

I am in the process of cleaning up his garage, too. What an achievement! He had a lot of tools and supplies. I plan to have a sale in the spring.

Good luck!

SherylS

RSS

© 2017   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service