Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

My wife of 19-years passed away from an incurable disease 2/12/2014.  The week after the funeral, I enlisted the help of my sister-in-law to go through 3-boxes of her books and some clothes.  What a mistake that was!  Books - no problem, take them all.  Clothes - Man did that rip right through me; and it was my idea!  How stupid can I get?  Guess I didn't learn my lesson since I'm posting it for all to see. You're thoughts?

Views: 19741

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm back to doing some more sorting, Now it is a lot of papers that were in file drawers and in files on shelves, and then photos that were stuck in all kinds of strange place. I noticed someone said make sure you go through everything because you don't know what is hiding. and that is so true.  I have found pieces of jewelry and money in envelopes in all kinds of places, a favorite if an envelope of money used as a book marker so now I look through books before I donate them. Most of his clothes I have found homes for , even sold some of his uniforms on a Scouting site and people where happy to get them. My son says he wants the model railroad stuff but it has been 8 years and he hasn't picked up up so wonder if he really wants it or just wants  to sell it after I am gone.

So good luck and hugs to all of you sorting, As long a we are not being forced to leave our homes and move to a smaller place, I say what is the hurry, I'll enjoy the things I can and let go of the rest as I find places for them,

Have any of you started sorting and "sharing" any of your own items.  I have started doing that also, it is unbelievable how much we hang on t that we don't use.

Yes, as I go through things I am also going through my own and I am finding parting with my own things far easier than parting with my wife's. It is unbelievable what we keep packed away.

Cee, I definitely have.  Like why should we have 20 screwdrivers and oodles of jars of nails and screws?  I didn't ditch them all, but I downsized that considerably to what I might need, about 1/4 of what was there. 

I also went through my kitchen and did a bunch of sorting/clearing there too.  

And got up in my attic.  Although we stored so very little up there, I ditched the remainder of what I found.  Minimal things that weren't of value and just collecting dust.  

~Shirley

You made me smile with the comment on screwdrivers. My son came and helped me cleaning out the garage and he couldn't believe all the duplicates- I could because Jim had a habit of putting everything he use for a repair in a pail or box and then would forget about so the next project he had to go out an by a duplicate. Son helped me box everything up for a garage sale but when I saw what others were getting for things they put out I decided it wasn't worth the work and why do my neighbors need to know what I am getting rid of.

Then I found this place called "Recycled art workshop" and they will take anything and everything , including the tools, jar of screws etc and even broken appliances. Their members take things apart and make them into sculptures.  So far I have taken 2 stations wagons full of stuff over they and they loved it.  I even took several hundred of my old craft magazines.

Now I am looking at all the camping equipment in the shed and trying to find a place for it. Who am I kidding that I will do any tent camping or outdoor cooking. I see other stuff that I wasn't ready to let go of before but now is the time.

Cee, you mentioned Scouting in a prior message.  If you choose to donate as opposed to sell, perhaps that might be a good resource.

Stephen and I fished.  He had a lot of equipment we didn't use (multiple fly rods, etc.).  I parted with all of it.  My intention is to relocate back home nearer family within the next year.  When that happens, if I want to fish again, I'll go buy another rod and reel.  

Hugs ~Shirley

Cee, see if there's a location of "Play It Again Sports" anywhere near you. I was able to sell them some used items (my husband's bicycle, weights, etc.) and they might take camping items. It's worth a try before you dump it off at Goodwill :)

Just want to jump in about the camping stuff. We have an organization in this area that helps the homeless - you might check and see if there is something similar near you. They can always use tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, lanterns, etc.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service