Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I took mine off way before I started to date -- but I tend to get very long-lasting tans -- so I took mine off around the first anniversary, at the beginning of summer.... I figured that when I tan, it lasts till October, and by October, I'd probably be ready to date. Didn't want anyone to think I was cheating (or "on travel," as they say!).

Turns out my timing was nearly perfect....

Views: 30195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wore my hustands band on my index finger for a long time, I bought a spacer at Walmart to help it fit.  But, one day, I put it aside.

Has anyone worn a widows band? Just today I was looking at a slim infinity ring with tiny black stones...not espensive at all...I don't want to stop wearing my wedding band, bit I feel like want a black "armband" on it...I can't explain why...maybe I still just want to shout at the world.."my husband died !!!!".....help !!!!

I have what I call a "widow ring".  It is a black diamond surrounded by tiny white ones.  Only I know what it means.  It looks ambiguous.  It could be an engagement ring (and indeed, some people have bought the same ring as one).  It could be a wedding set.  Or it could be just a ring.  I wear it all the time like I did my wedding ring.

Yes I have been wearing my widow ring for years. It's basically a eternity ring of black diamonds  (Ice.com) I stopped wearing my wedding rings at 6 months.  I lost 50 pounds in four months so they fell off.  It seemed stupid to resize them.

I took my band off probably about 6 months after.  I don't really remember the date which is odd for me. Anyway, I think I'll always feel like I'm still married to him but I didn't feel right wearing the ring anymore.  It's been about 2 years since I stopped wearing it and just now I looked at my ring finger and realized that the indentation is gone now... I love that some of you have had your rings reconfigured and would really enjoy seeing photos.

I tried removing both our rings when I started dating, but I started dating too soon for me. I broke up with the guy and started wearing both rings together again. I liked the soft clink of his ring against mine. He had bigger hands and I used mine to keep his in place. But about a year and a half ago, I put his away in the silver ring box that our ring bearer held while walking down the aisle during the wedding ceremony.

Almost three and a half years later, I still wear mine as a reminder of how much I was loved and how proud I was to be married to Gary.  I’m not ready to start dating. If I ever decide to take mine off, I’ll put it in the silver box along with his.

No removal here.

About two weeks ago I smashed my finger very hard with a rock using all my strength.  It's a long story, but my finger,  my ring finger , was all manner of purple and blue, and the nail is black and blue. I kept it covered because it was horrifying.  Finally got past all of that , the finger has recovered, but the nail on my ring finger is still black.  I was going out today, and I thought, I'll just paint just that one pink.  Well, don't you know , it just would not hide it.  So, I stopped at CVS and picked up some black nail polish and painted just the ring finger nail black.  Wow, it really reflected my sense of mourning as a widow.  I think a man or a woman could do this.  I didn't want to stop wearing my rings, at least not yet, but I think I will go forward with the one black nail as a sign of morning . 

I’ve been waffling about what to with my rings. I’m over a year now.

My house was recently broken into and a bunch of my jewelry was stolen. I’m so thankful I was wearing my rings at the time. 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service