Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I took mine off way before I started to date -- but I tend to get very long-lasting tans -- so I took mine off around the first anniversary, at the beginning of summer.... I figured that when I tan, it lasts till October, and by October, I'd probably be ready to date. Didn't want anyone to think I was cheating (or "on travel," as they say!).

Turns out my timing was nearly perfect....

Views: 27972

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't really. It has been over a year now but I take them on and off. I have a toddler and my engagement ring has some sharp sides to it so it is better left off anyway. I wear my rings topped with a very gorgeous black diamond band (widow ring). I did take them all off for a few months and then put them on recently...I think that the mark of 1 year brought them out in full force again.

About a month before my husband died we had to cut my rings off do to my hand swelling.  We were planning on getting a new set and renewing our vows.  We never made it to get new ones before his accident.  If we would have I don't know if I would have taken them off or not. 

Hey Barb, I just joined this site. Hugs dear! I took mine off after 6 months to date, gasve up and then put them back on for several months. I put them back on when I travel alone for (emotional) security.
My husband died April 21 - New Years Eve (8 months I moved both rings to my right hand). 
I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who took mine off early on. I was in my angry period where I was angry with God, angry with the doctors, and yes, even angry with him for getting sick and dying and leaving me all alone. I just got rid of anything that made me sad or that hurt me.  Wasn't going to have any more hurt!!  I did put it back on my right hand eventually and wore it for awhile, but now I just wear the diamond on my right hand. I plan to have everything put together to make some type of memory ring soon. I bought a brand new beautiful ring for my left hand to make it feel less empty and it makes me happy when I look at it. I guess you do whatever you have to do when you are trying to protect your heart from more pain. Sounds like we all handle it in different ways...but we handle it and that's what matters.

I too moved my ring to my right hand after Jim died.  We had just had a beautiful ring made with the original diamond from my engagement ring and had added some beautiful stones. We did this together as we knew Jim had an uncurable disease and  we wanted to do something special to celebrate our 37 years of marriage.

I know he is still with me and would want me to wear the ring we had made, he knew I really like "sparkly" and after spending a load of cash I better darn well wear it.

So on my finger on the right side it is worn, when I see the sparkle, I smile because it like Jim saying Hi to me.

Hello,

Reading this was as if I had wrote it.  I did and felt the very same things.  Hope you are doing okay.

Diane

Me too..I feel exactly the same way,and did the same thing, except I have mine on a heart locket necklace he gave me....

I took mine off after 9 months, though I thought it was less than that.  I started feeling that I was "pretending" when I'd look at the rings.  My rings showed that I was married, my heart still felt married, but my brain knew that I wasn't anymore.  I had them put together, one inside of the other, and wear them as a necklace.
Attachments:
thanks for posting the picture of the rings. i have been trying to thing of what to do with mine and that is a great way to wear them as a pendant...
Janine, LOVE what you did to these, too! Irene McGoldrick has hers in a similar way -- they're bonded together side to side and interlocking -- looks like a Venn diagram. I also know folks who've had theirs melted down into one piece of jewelry that was either very special, or one that could be worn every day. Chapter Two rings!!!

That is really beautiful :) Thank you for sharing. 

RSS

© 2017   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service