Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

I took mine off way before I started to date -- but I tend to get very long-lasting tans -- so I took mine off around the first anniversary, at the beginning of summer.... I figured that when I tan, it lasts till October, and by October, I'd probably be ready to date. Didn't want anyone to think I was cheating (or "on travel," as they say!).

Turns out my timing was nearly perfect....

Views: 31278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A widow's ring is just a ring made or bought in memory of your loved one.  Some engrave their loved ones name or date of death.  Other's make "new" jewelry out of their wedding rings.  My sister-in-law had her LH's, her's and her new wedding ring all melted together into one ring.  A cousin had their wedding rings melted down and made a pair of earrings out of them. 

I want to be able to pass my engagement, wedding ring and my LH's wedding ring down to our children so I commissioned something completely new to be made.  I actually had 2 rings made.  One is an Irish claddagh with our birthstones in the shape of a heart.  My LH's family was Irish and there is a long story behind why we didn't get them when we got married and he regretted that he couldn't get one for me.  So I got it to honor him.  The second ring has diamonds, a black onyx which is said to help with grieving, an opal which signifies love and loyalty, they are both supposed to protect against negative energies and feelings.  It also has our initials engraved and our marriage date.  

Thanks for that info on the Opal, Jwick.  Wasn't previously aware that the Opal signified love and loyalty, though it's  my birthstone and was Mickey's too..  Might have helped with our 52 years of marriage.  Take care.

norm

Mike - I got my widows ring from Expressions of Grief. It's a little silver band with black stones all around it (Widows Forever 3rd Ring). I wore it to hold my husband's wedding band in place on my left hand.

At 18 months, my Aunt noticed and gave me a hard time.  The reason I wasn't in a hurry to remove my rings is I didn't want to seem single. Our daughter was 9mos old when he died. So she was around 2 then? About a year later I wanted to date again so that's when I took mine off. But I'd always keep them close.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service