Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

As the weather warms and thoughts of summer begin to beckon me somewhere...with an "anywhere but here" kind of mentality, I start my annual battle of the mind about traveling alone. It's not insecurity, mind you. I have traveled a lot on business, but that's always a planned destination with purpose. Not much time to wander beyond the absolutes. A couple of my usual travel companions are tied into family jaunts in the next few months so I thought this might be the season I break out, and hopefully break free of "couple mania"... constant reminders of how great it was to travel with THE one I miss! What's worked for some of you? Have you traveled alone to somewhere exciting by yourself? Any suggestions, ideas?

Views: 1845

Replies to This Discussion

Glad to hear Cambria is still a nice little town and that you are comfortable going there. I visited Cambria when I lived in California at age 18, many years ago and it was beautiful

I have not traveled alone since my husband died.  I am not an adventurous person and now that I am alone even less so, if that's possible.  I feel like I "should" get out there and do at least some small road trips but I quickly talk myself out of that.  I drive less and less as times goes by and have come to realize that I am developing a fear of driving.  Not good.  So my world is quite small.  I have been invited to a concert that is about 100 miles from home, city driving involved and I kinda want to try it but I know I will not.  It's depressing.  It's anxiety and I have dealt with it all my life.  I am at a crossroads at this time, go for it, or give up.  

Hi Cindy...I am right where you are in my mind...Bill passed 5+ years ago...I was doing better 4+ years ago...then I am now....I feel as If I have done all I was interested in ..and now I sit in my house...I would love to go places, make new memories, share , have some fun, see a movie....BUT all of my lifelong friends have also passed very young....including my husband they were all 50-51....so I am very alone...I have joined groups, taken classes, and volunteered....nothing long lasting has come from any of it...I am seeing a counselor...but at this point I won't give up on God..so I feel my life will get better...but I have my days ....that being alone really catches up with me...and it's such a sad feeling...Peace

nothing long lasting has come of any of it....wow, did that strike a cord with me.  I've tried lots of things (except travel) and nothing really sticks.  I have family close by and yet am alone too, you know what I mean.  You are not included in the conversations that happen right in your presence, i.e. my daughter and her husband, it's in front of you and yet private.  Same interaction between my granddaughters.  You are there but you are not a part of any of it.  I won't give up on God either.  He has walked every step of this journey with me.  I enjoyed your post!

I feel the same way Cindy...have tried so many different things, have done so much in 5+ years ....nothing has stuck...I;ve enjoyed everything I've done but it has all run it's course...I am truly trying to push myself to take a vacation alone even if just for a couple of days..my kids are going away next week...and I am opting out..I feel like I am living life through theirs..and really would like my own life...with people my age in it...I live alone and am alone most of the time..so travelling alone isn't all that appealing ...but I would like to get away...I asked God a few years ago to be in the drivers seat of my life..and will always believe He is.....I would be here is not for him...I thought it might be nice if some of us who would like to take a trip try to pick a place between us all and get together...it always falls through....PEACE ...

Slick, I just noticed your last sentence about trying to get some of us together. I'd be interested!  Was there anyone else that showed an interest? Is there a place you'd like to go? 

Cindy and Slick, Finally seeing in words the way I've been feeling. 4+ years. I thought I was being anti-social, but the way you described it is exactly right. The family is busy (so were we when the kids were little), so when I am invited, I feel I'm in the way. I mentioned to one daughter trips I'm "planning". even saved up the money. But I probably won't do them.  I just figured that out recently. 

Here is a suggestion for those travelling alone on a budget: https://www.nomador.com/ there is also an option to provide 'hospitality' to people from somewhere else so they come and stay with you and you take them around and then you go and stay with them and they show you around.. This could work for people on here. Go visit each other for a week or so, make a new friend, share with someone who has some idea of what you are going through and have a wonderful new experience. Just my two cents worth. Unfortunately I live in Australia. 

Hi CarolinaHeart,   I am new on here - just lost my husband a month ago.  I travel a lot for work, but enjoyed so much the other "fun" trips, both before I met Frank and after (Thailand, Alaska, etc.).  We were perfect traveling companions and we had big travel plans after I retired (now at least a few years out).  Now I am trying to adjust to the idea that it is only me.  I've never been much of a group travel person, so much nicer to be able to be spontaneous with travel plans.  I love the idea of connecting here with others who are in a similar situation.  

I'm so glad to read this..I have not taken a trip alone yet, but would like to at Christmas...with the children scattered a trip might be better than staying home alone. I do go out to eat by myself, though, so that is a start.

I would travel alone in a heartbeat if I had a destination....I know not one person who lives out of my area...wish I had family or an old friend I could visit...I live alone and spend most of my time alone since I have lost so many including one of my daughters...so friends are all gone, my only sister, parents, husband, etc....it would not be fun for me to travel alone...I;m alone all the time.....I have tried everything ..to meet new people ..with some of the same interests in the past 5 years ...with no luck...very hard....

Caroline - You  may have this all sorted out by now, but thought I'd add what I've done in terms of travel.  Last spring I did an 8 day walking tour of the Amalfi Coast in Italy with Exodus Adventures.  There were a fair number of other unattached people on the tour and it was fabulous!  The group was small - about 14 people. I would definitely do other trips with that company again - or also with G Adventures.  Exodus says that around half of the people on their tours are unattached for one reason or another.  I've done some road trips as well and I feel apprehensive at best and scared to death sometimes before I leave, but after I'm on the road I like it. I can crank the tunes I want to listen to, stop when I want to or drive straight through. It's a fear I needed to overcome after 15 years of travelling with my husband, but I'm glad I'm doing it.  Now I find that being home is more difficult for me than being on the road.  And yes, I miss how easy it was to travel with him, but there are some positive things about this new reality too.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service