Members

This site is run by widowed people, for widowed people

Widowed Village connects peers with each other for friendship and sharing. The moderators, administrators, and others involved in running this site are not professionals.

Please don't interpret anything you read here as medical, legal, or otherwise expert advice. Don't disregard any expert's advice or take any action as a result of what you read here.

We're friends, not doctors, financial or legal professionals, and we're not "grief experts." But we are here, and we've been "there."

As the weather warms and thoughts of summer begin to beckon me somewhere...with an "anywhere but here" kind of mentality, I start my annual battle of the mind about traveling alone. It's not insecurity, mind you. I have traveled a lot on business, but that's always a planned destination with purpose. Not much time to wander beyond the absolutes. A couple of my usual travel companions are tied into family jaunts in the next few months so I thought this might be the season I break out, and hopefully break free of "couple mania"... constant reminders of how great it was to travel with THE one I miss! What's worked for some of you? Have you traveled alone to somewhere exciting by yourself? Any suggestions, ideas?

Views: 2038

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I booked another one.  My former professional society (I'm retired) is meeting in Honolulu in November, 2019.  I just put down a deposit on a cruise with my favorite cruise line (UnCruise) the week after the meeting. It's gonna be a budget-buster, especially since I want to fly Business Class, but I've never been there and it's also a place Ron wouldn't have enjoyed because of the warm climate.  This is a good alternative to completely solo travel. I'll see people at the meeting I've known for decades, and meet some new ones.  The Central America cruise I took with them 6 months after Ron died was a very good mix of people- small ship, under 100 passengers, all of us curious, active and interested in nature. The couples weren't glued together 24/7 so I never felt like a fifth wheel. 

Some of Ron's ashes will go into the Pacific, of course! 

RSS

© 2018   Created by Soaring Spirits.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service