Widowed Village connects widowed people through bad times and good. This is an involved and lively site for peer support. Like any village, we need each other and learn from others who are the same and from those who are different. We hope you’ll find sharing your sorrows, challenges, joys and daily experiences here will lighten and enlighten your journey.
Widowed Village is a program of Soaring Spirits International, a non-profit organization: http://www.soaringspirits.org/
About your privacy and security
1. Widowed Village is the only site of its kind that screens new members for widowed status. Our members are concerned that everyone who participates here has lost a partner, so we will ask you for your real name and some other information when you sign up. Unless otherwise noted in the membership questionnaire, this information is for WV administrators' use only. It will never be shared without your express permission.
2. Because nearly every area of this site is public we encourage you to use a pseudonym when you sign up.
3. What can I keep private? Go to "My Widville," "Check my privacy" to change the default settings or update your preferences. However, anytime you upload an image or video, you can override these preferences. In general -- Please don’t publicly post recent photos of your children.
About peer support
* Peer support is not intended as a substitute for professional counseling. In no situation should you construe what anyone here says as advice. If you observe inappropriate behavior, let us know at [email protected]
* Share only what you’d share with a peer or other NEW friend. Although we do screen participants, you should NEVER share personal or financial details with someone you don’t know well.
* As a peer member, you should also keep in mind these boundaries. Please participate only where you have direct experience relevant to the conversation. For example, don't participate in forums or groups for folks of age groups other than your own, don't engage in a conversation about suicide if you're not intimately familiar with the subject, etc.
* If you have background as a social worker or with other relevant subject matter, you may have to be especially careful. Please contact [email protected] whenever you have a question about these boundaries.
How we communicate with you
* We may occasionally send out a broadcast email to all members from the following email address: [email protected]
* You can reach us by email at [email protected].