Welcome to our community.... I hope we can keep you company on your journey ahead. Please look around a bit and read this basic introduction to the site. You can find more information about how the community works under "Help!" in the navigation bar, and we'll send you a few newsletters with tips and ideas in the coming weeks. If you need a little more help, go to the Home page and look in the right hand column to see the link to a "Help Desk" form. We all use the site differently, but we hope you feel comfortable sharing among us in the coming days, weeks, and months. Big hug! Supa site founder and admin
Thank you Doug for your friend request, when your ready to join in we will always be here for you. In the beginning I just read a lot, it really helps to get the feel for where you think you belong. Again Welcome!
Thanks everyone for your welcome messages and words of support. I've been really busy with work and volunteer activities since I joined last week, and haven't really started exploring and engaging here yet, but I will. One thing I have learned about grieving, though the experience may be shared with others, everyone responds in their own unique way. One of the things I did was start a blog, and writing has been tremendously helpful in my own healing journey. I'm looking forward to meeting more of you here and learning what gets you through.
Hi Doug, I'm so sorry for the loss of your wife, but I'm glad you've joined us. I just past my one year mark sense the loss of my husband and I still have so much healing to do. I can say one thing and that is I don't think I would of made it this far without all the wonderful people I've met here. I just recently met Matt and he is such a great guy and so easy to talk to just like all of the widow and widowers. Welcome!
Welcome Rambler64 : I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad you found your way to this site. I know you will find the same comfort and understanding here at Widowed Village that I have. In the beginning I just read the blogs and posts and lurked in chat. Post and join us in chat when you feel comfortable. It is nice to be among people who "Get It". If you need any help getting around this site, please just let me know.
I am so sorry for your loss yet I am glad you found us. You will find some great help here on the site and the relationships you will build with all of the great people here. We are all on the other side of life now and only we can really understand how you feel. I am on chat quiet often and it is scary and overwhelming at times in the beginning. I would like to offer a bit of assistance when you are ready use the chat room.
1. I always advise you watch for a bit, the room gets busy sometimes and hard to follow at first.
2. You will see some joking and even laughter, you will also see tears and breakdowns. The people here are here to support and be supported by peers.
3. Looking at the chat you will see that the left window has a sliding bar that tells you who is online (they may be on another part of the site though)
4. If you click on a name in the side bar this should open up a private chat or PC as we call it.
5. I f you receive a PC a red # will show under the main lobby with the name and icon of the person it is from or if you sent it to someone
6. Your first entry:
This is hit or miss, it really depends on when you jump in if lots of folks are chatting you can easily get missed. I recommend just saying Hi I am new and give whatever info you want (hi I am Arnie From NJ and today I am 3 months and 3 days out) this way if others are from NJ they may want to know more.
7. BE READY:
Ok once you do go into the lobby be ready as the questions are needed and they are sometimes gentile, sometimes the questions fly at you. Please take your time here as if this is new for you this may open you up emotionally, and it is normal to feel this and from what i am told a needed part of trying to begin to live again.
8. Most people on the chat are women as of now but the men that are involved are very respectful and sometimes fun.
9. Remember almost no one knew each other until they came here.
10. Good luck and I sent you a friend request, lets face it near or far we need support, and with so many from around the world there is almost always someone on.
ALSO using internet explorer is problematic with chat so Firefox appears to be the best..
I hope this long winded letter helps you in the beginning and again SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS.